I am new to Manjaro (but have some Linux experience; mostly Mint/Ubuntu).
Since installing Manjaro a few weeks ago, I have had a nightmare trying to get my HP Laserjet 1018 (USB) installed. I’ve tried many things, and have probably broken some things along the way. I could really do with some help fixing my mess.
I’ve tried (unsuccessfully):
- HP Printer Setup (GUI and command line)
- CUPS web interface
- the proprietary HP driver
- the foo2zjs driver
- installing and uninstalling various combinations of software and drivers
I have occasionally been able to get something to print, but:
- I frequently get a popup dialog telling me I need to install a driver (even though that’s literally what I’ve been trying to do for hours).
- The printer frequently seems to lose its USB connection (and I have to try various things to refresh the connection, and even then I can’t seem to get it to print reliably).
- I even had a problem the other day where 90GB of free disk space filled up in a matter of hours because CUPS was furiously writing something to one of the logs (access.log, I think). I deleted the log and rebooted, and it seems OK now, but that was certainly interesting.
- BTW, the same printer worked reliably under Mint/Ubuntu for years.
Can somebody please help me get this set up correctly? I’d really appreciate your help!
(Note: At this point I don’t really know what I have installed correctly, and basically need to start from scratch.)