HP Envy 5540 no longer working with HP

I use an HP Envy 5540 printer with HP Device Manager (hplip) 1:3.20.11-2 from the official repositories, with a current stable Manjaro KDE and kernel 5.9.16-1. Until recently, this worked fine.

A few updates ago, I don’t know when exactly, the printer stopped working. The HP Device Manager now says “No installed HP devices found”. Trying to “setup device” (USB), I get a successful device discovery, but on the setup page, there is an error that the PPD file was not found. Clicking on the browse button, I see that the setup is looking in what appears to be the correct location, /usr/share/ppd/HP, which is filled with *.ppd.gz files, but when I select hp-envy_5540_series.ppd.gz, the error is just repeated. I tried un-installing and re-installing the device manager without change.

Thanks for helping me :slight_smile:

Hi @Cappy ,
Could you take a look at the hp Developers Portal?. I think the printer is not longer supported.
hp's Developer Portal | All Supported Printer Models

Hope it help,

It’s said to be supported “full - end of support”. I suppose this means: if it still works for you, you’re lucky, otherwise, you’re out of luck. :frowning:

I was able to print by hooking it up to an old Windows 7 laptop and installing current HP drivers there, but I’d really like to be able to use it from my main machine.

I tried installing the official HPLIP package from HP (3.21.2) but gives this error:

error: manjarolinux-20.2.1 version is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using manjarolinux-20.2 version packages.

Ignoring this and proceeding to install anyway, it tells me that there are unmet dependencies, but is unable to install them. The errors suggest version conflicts to me.