Howto properly enable suspend-then-hibernate

Hi,

Returnign back to manjaro and loving it! Used manjaro for a year, then switched to Fedora for a year and now have come back to manjaro. Why did I ever leave.

Any installed manjaro gnome 20.0.3 to my 2019 Dell XPS 13. I want to enable suspend-then-hibernmate but it dont seem to be working. from 100% battery I have dropped to 20% on the end fo day 2. When I was on fedora after 1-2 months I still had 80%!!! so I know suspend-then-hibernate was working.

On fedora I did that workaround hacky method of symlinking

ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service

However if I do that on Manjaro I get the message from systemctl of;

Failed to enable unit: Refusing to operate on alias name or linked unit file: systemd-suspend.service

when trying to enable via systemctl.

I have also edited sleep.conf and logind.conf to enable hibernate-then-sleep after 45mins and on lid switching.

I search manjaro forums and get 3 results to which only one relevent suspend but then not relevent to specifically suspend-then-hibernate.

is there a properway to do this on manjaro.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul.

You should find all the relevant information here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Suspend_and_hibernate

mbb - many thanks for getting back to me! Out of all the pages/wikis I found I somehow missed that page. However simply changing the config of sleep.conf and login.conf does not seem to work. I have hit the 48hr mark and the battery is at 20% and indicating charge is needed. It does not seem to be entering hibernate mode.

When I had fedora installed I still had 80% after 2 months! Or at least easily 1 month. I was behaving liek my old macbook air in that it hardly used the battery.

Also I just now reviewed system log files and foudn yesterday (19th) at 9am is had the error many many times of “Requested suspend-then-hibernate operation not supported, ignoring”. Cool I got something to work with but if anyone can help me find a fix more quickly with some help that would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if reviewing your steps from the page I linked doesn’t solve the problem, I don’t know what else to do. What happens if you type systemctl hibernate?