Howto properly enable suspend-then-hibernate

Hi,

Returnign back to manjaro and loving it! Used manjaro for a year, then switched to Fedora for a year and now have come back to manjaro. Why did I ever leave.

Any installed manjaro gnome 20.0.3 to my 2019 Dell XPS 13. I want to enable suspend-then-hibernmate but it dont seem to be working. from 100% battery I have dropped to 20% on the end fo day 2. When I was on fedora after 1-2 months I still had 80%!!! so I know suspend-then-hibernate was working.

On fedora I did that workaround hacky method of symlinking

ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service

However if I do that on Manjaro I get the message from systemctl of;

Failed to enable unit: Refusing to operate on alias name or linked unit file: systemd-suspend.service

when trying to enable via systemctl.

I have also edited sleep.conf and logind.conf to enable hibernate-then-sleep after 45mins and on lid switching.

I search manjaro forums and get 3 results to which only one relevent suspend but then not relevent to specifically suspend-then-hibernate.

is there a properway to do this on manjaro.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul.

1 Like

You should find all the relevant information here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Suspend_and_hibernate

mbb - many thanks for getting back to me! Out of all the pages/wikis I found I somehow missed that page. However simply changing the config of sleep.conf and login.conf does not seem to work. I have hit the 48hr mark and the battery is at 20% and indicating charge is needed. It does not seem to be entering hibernate mode.

When I had fedora installed I still had 80% after 2 months! Or at least easily 1 month. I was behaving liek my old macbook air in that it hardly used the battery.

Also I just now reviewed system log files and foudn yesterday (19th) at 9am is had the error many many times of “Requested suspend-then-hibernate operation not supported, ignoring”. Cool I got something to work with but if anyone can help me find a fix more quickly with some help that would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if reviewing your steps from the page I linked doesn’t solve the problem, I don’t know what else to do. What happens if you type systemctl hibernate?

@luthepa1, did you ever get this working? I’m using XFCE, but hoping whatever the solution is universal across platforms.

It works perfectly on my laptop. I didn’t even had to change any files. Just get suspend, hibernate and resume working, then issue systemctl suspend-then-hibernate. If you want a custom timeout for hibernating uncomment and change the line HibernateDelaySec=180min in /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.

1 Like

Yes! I got it working but the problem wasn’t so much the suspend-then-hibernate functioning but rather my hard drive partitions and swap setup that I had to fix. At the time of my original post I had a setup with encryption + SwapFile (not swap partition). What I found was my SwapFile was not functioning thus, the system could not hibernate because it had no where to write RAM contents to.

Back story: I was installing manjaro to laptop and wanted hibernation plus full disk encryption. First attemp I was creating root partition and swap partitions (which I encrypted seperately) in a LVM contatiner. Problem with that is you need to enter password twice to unlock both partitions. Dont like that. There are work arounds with fscrypt to unlock both but seemed difficult and still need to enter password to unlock the swap partition on powering up laptop. So 2nd attempt I switched to using a swapfile instead of a swap partition, however my plan was to use btrfs for root and btrfs gets tricky with swapfile and issuing swapfile offset on hdd to the kernel boot parameters and other things. I never got it to work for me and this is when I made this post.

Finally I got a working solution where I create one big encrypted container that contained both my root partition and swap partition with root as btrfs.

So now I have a XPS-13 booting manjaro with a EFI partition, then rest of nvme drive with a luks encrypted contatiner, containing a btrfs root and swap file partitions. I also have the setup so that everytime pacman is used to make software changes it first creates a btrfs snapshot, which is then also available at the grub boot menu, plus timeshift app for rollbacks.

I even created scripts to automate the the setup and prep for manjaro install.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.