[HowTo] Installing Angetube Sonix Webcam (kernel 6.1)

Hey,

I’ve been looking for information everywhere trying to make my webcam work in manjaro with kernel 6.1.44-1 and, as it tooks me a couple of hours to get it done, I thought about sharing.

Firstly the USB Webcam was not listed by lsusb command so I had to install the v4l2loopback kernel module.

First I checked my kernel version:

mhwd-kernel -li

Currently running: 6.1.44-1-MANJARO (linux61)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux61

So I installed the corresponding kernel headers and dkms and then rebooted the system.

sudo pacman -Syu linux61-headers
sudo pacman -Syu v4l2loopback-dkms
reboot

After that, I check the modules where loaded:

lsmod | grep 'v4l2loopback\|uvcvideo'

Now it was listed in the usb devices and it worked!

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0c46:64ab WaveRider Communications, Inc. USB  Live camera

Feel free to correct my post if you find some error.

Regards,
Mauricio

1 Like

That’s all you needed to do. base-devel is only required for using the AUR.

To check loaded kernel modules, one would use lsmod:

lsmod | grep 'v4l2loopback\|uvcvideo'

I suggest maybe editing and make this more generic to help others with different hardware that may require the same modules.

@Yochanan,

Thank you for your corrections. Now I think it’s right.

Regards!

That’s strange. I would rather think that you did a kernel upgrade and didn’t reboot. When you plugin the camera it doesn’t get recognized, because the module was not loaded before kernel upgrade and can’t be loaded after kernel upgrade, because the path changed. After a reboot it would be resolved.

v4l2loopback ist just needed if you want to use your webcam multiple times simultaneous. So you have for example /dev/video0, now you loopback and create a second device lets say /dev/video5. Now /dev/video5 and /dev/video0 show the same video of the webcam at the some time and can be used each by different applications at the same time.

I would say this tutorial is nonsense, since v4l2loopback doesn’t add any real hardware driver.

So it was black magic, because it works only after I summoned these spirits.