HowTo: Install git Packages Specifically From AUR on Manjaro

This is a lab computer with backups from Timeshift and the hard drive has been dd’ed to another drive so an easy 4 screw swap gets be back to functional so breaking it is ok…

I am trying to install a number git packages from AUR.
Specifically telepathy packages with the “-git” at the end.

There are about 18 packages and they conflict with existing packages.

So I figured I would have to start another tty using ctrl+alt+F1 then run the installer.

The issue I am having is I don’t know the command to select the packages from AUR instead of the Official Manjaro Repositories. Can anyone provide the necessary command to accomplish this?

Provided by cscs: yay -S package1 package2 package3

yay -S package1 package2 package3
Or the same using pamac build, or whatever your preferred AUR helper is.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Arch_User_Repository

1 Like

yes. I tried that but I don’t know the name of the packages. I tried transposing the package names into the terminal from the package name in the Add/Remove Software GUI and it tells me they are not found

Have you typed them correctly? Are you sure they exist?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=telepathy

1 Like

Oh, that’s a nice list you provided in the link above, very helpful. I’ll try it again using the package names from that link.

It worked. I had some issues and had to remove some of the packages due to dependency errors but that’s to be expected from AUR.

So I get many errors which I posted below…

Do you know how to bypass this error and/or “overwrite” the existing stuff with the new stuff…

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
kaccounts-providers-git: /etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/accounts.google.com.conf
exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/api.twitter.com.conf exi
sts in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/identi.ca.conf exists in
filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/www.facebook.com.conf ex
ists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kaccounts/ui/nextcloud_plugin_kaccou
nts.so exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kaccounts/ui/owncloud_plugin_kaccoun
ts.so exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/accounts/providers/kde/google.provider exists
in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/accounts/providers/kde/nextcloud.provider exi
sts in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/accounts/providers/kde/owncloud.provider exis
ts in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/accounts/services/kde/nextcloud-contacts.serv
ice exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/accounts/services/kde/nextcloud-storage.servi
ce exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.kaccounts.nextclo
ud/contents/ui/main.qml exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.kaccounts.nextclo
ud/metadata.desktop exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
ud/metadata.json exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.kaccounts.ownclou
d/contents/ui/Services.qml exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.kaccounts.ownclou
d/contents/ui/main.qml exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
d/metadata.desktop exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
d/metadata.json exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/metainfo/org.kde.kaccounts.nextcloud.appdata.
xml exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
kaccounts-providers-git: /usr/share/metainfo/org.kde.kaccounts.owncloud.appdata.x
ml exists in filesystem (owned by kaccounts-providers)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
error installing repo packages

Its kinda funny it doesnt prompt you to replace the package … making the ‘…exists’ unnecessary.
But … its an AUR package I suppose … in any case.
Just uninstall kaccounts-providers first.

If you absolutely want to use the ‘overwrite’ … you can.
ex:

yay -S kaccounts-providers-git --overwrite 'usr/share/*' 
## or
yay -S kaccounts-providers-git --overwrite '*' 
1 Like

Btw there is a meta package to build and install all thelepathy-kde-git

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/telepathy-kde-git-meta/

And your error is weird as the packages are in conflict… So it should just refuse or ask to replace it :thinking:

I included that meta package in the command. It was working but it failed on telepathy-brain-im-git so I just removed it and did a clean build. I’ll keep working through it. If it fails requiring the meta package I will build it first then complete everything else.

So just to clarify:

“yay” = packages from AUR
“pacman” = packages from Official Repositories

Is this correct?

Sorta.
pacman is the standard package manager in Arch. It can only work with compatible packages. Mostly thats from the repos … but also packages compiled with makepkg … which could be a third party or AUR package … though it cannot interact with the AUR directly.
yay is a pacman wrapper and AUR helper.
Not all AUR helpers have those qualifications … but in the case of yay it tries to call on pacman for most of the lifting when possible. Between that and its easy search yay TERM and menu prompts it is a favorite of AUR helpers … though you could choose from among dozens of them (trizen, pacaur, etc)… or none at all and just use makepkg manually.

(we also have pamac which is manjaros default package manager that can work with the repos or aur)

I will also again refer to the wiki:

1 Like

I appreciate how you provided 2 different solutions here. Explaining how to first remove the package before proceeding, followed by a specific answer to the question how to overwrite the packages. This shows attention to detail, and i have yet to be a member of a forum with such responsive and detail oriented moderators. Thank you very much!

I went with your first suggestion and simply uninstalled the kaccounts-providers before proceeding with the installation of the new.

Very useful link. Think you for the information.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.