[HowTo] Block all ads as well as trackers system-wide (at a system level)!

If you have any concerns, feel free to ask!

The empty domains are to prevent dead domain hijacking (DDH), therefore we add them for security.

Those “non existing domains” exists, but are only accessed when asked by a certain website.

Before stating any claims, you may try it, see how it goes.

Thank you!

I did.
That’s how I know.
Of course I did not check all 600.000+ lines, just made it down to domains starting with “d” and took some (many) random samples.
… legitimate sites where not uncommon

We have an extremely precise aggregation system that the system must be 85% certain of its decision, then a back checker re-verify and validates whether or not this domain is to be black listed.

Any other domains that are flagged but does not meet specified requirements are all verified manually.

If a “legitimate” domain is blacklisted, there are pretty high chance there’s a very good reason why it is that way.

The original list contained over 2 000 000 domains, but we indeed trimmed that down to 600 000 after multiple verification cycles, a bit like playing elimination.

If one of your favorite domain is blocked, please let us know. Although some in the past claimed some domains that were scammy, that ended up to be their own.

I hope this helped elucidate some questionning you may have had.

Have a wonderful day!

2 Likes

Let’s not even start a discussion about 85% certainty of the AI’s decisions or the “reasons” it may have had.

The same to you!

Quote from The Quantum Alpha . / The Quantum Ad-List · GitLab :

No, we will NOT release the source code of the AI. It is proprietary.

Not being judgemental here - just a big question mark…

Will there be a noticeable delay with greping a list with 600K rows before visiting each site?

You will not see any difference in speed!!

It is great!

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I do have a suggestion for improving the installer.

As it is, it is replacing the current /etc/hosts file -
with no backup and thus with no easy way to restore the original.
… and no clear notice that this is about to occur …

You/it could,
perhaps even should,
advise the potential user to make this backup copy before running the installer
or
extend the installer to do that by default during the install process, but still inform the user about it.

Next step could be an “uninstall” option.

Of course, the -O option can be used to write the new hosts file to a custom location.
This could be utilized to facilitate easy swapping between original and altered.

Cheers!

Very nice.
Thank you

2 Likes