How to use the NTFS3 driver by default?

I am on kernel version 5.15.7-1. I am able to mount partitions manually using the ntfs3 driver. However, I would like for my external drives (formatted in ntfs) to automatically mount using the ntfs3 driver. According to the arch wiki, I need to create a udev rule with the following.

SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}="ntfs3"

I did that and rebooted. Drives still use the old ntfs drivers when mounted automatically. I checked the mount type and it showed fuseblk. I then created another udev rule (shown below) and it still didn’t work. Any ideas how to fix this?

SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="fuseblk", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}="ntfs3"
2 Likes

What does lsmod | grep ntfs say (with your custom udev rule disabled)?

I did not do any special setup. Here is what I got, before and after plugging in my external ntfs drive:

$ lsmod | grep ntfs                  

$ lsmod | grep ntfs                                                            
ntfs3                 274432  0

Can you check it with mount command as well?
It gives me fuseblk instead of ntfs3 when it is auto mounted with or without the above mentioned udev rules. It only gives ntfs3 when I explicitly mount it by hand with mount -t ntfs3 /dev/sdc3 /mnt.

AUTO:

/dev/sdc3 on /run/media/osiixy/ntfs type fuseblk …

MANUAL:

/dev/sdc3 on /mnt type ntfs3 …

arch-wiki itself discourages you to use udev rules. for the time-being only partially recommended way is to use udisks support. NTFS - ArchWiki, which works

either way though the kernel module is already implemented there are few mount options yet to be implemented in kernel module that were supported with ntfs-3g. refer the issues mentioned

It shows:

➜ lsmod | grep ntfs
ntfs3                 274432  0

While this shows ntfs3, the performance when copying to the drive is still the same. When I do a manual mount with ntfs3, the performance is much better.

This is what I said. Manual mounting gives ntfs3 and the performance of the drive is actually improved. Automouinting gives fuseblk and the perfomance is pretty bad. For example, copy a file into the drive ramps up my fans.

This doesn’t answer anything: I already linked the page in my first post.

if you actually read u are being to asked to opt for udisk alternative, which i’ve included anchor point in the same wiki article. what more do u want

Works as expected…

$sudo blkid | grep /dev/sda1                                                     
/dev/sda1: BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="2CE226D1040F47B2" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="00d3c9e5-01"

$ sudo mount -t ntfs3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows                                      

$ mount | grep /dev/sda1                                                          
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/windows type ntfs3 (rw,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,iocharset=utf8)