How to use "Kate"?

Can someone please explain in very very simple & clear instructions exactly how to Open up Kate from the application launcher menu, and open the file /etc/default/grub
Then please explain how to use it to adjust boot text size.
Thank you.

kate /etc/default/grub from terminal will help and make it easier

and if you are taking about your last post then grub will not help. Edit that file with kate kate /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

if any error come like command kate not found then do sudo pacman -Syu kate or sudo pacman -S kate i prefer using -Syu coz it upgrades everything including your manjaro system . Or if you are worried then

kate /etc/default/grub

kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so: (libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so: (libhspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so: (libvoikko.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_aspell.so: (libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_hspell.so: (libhspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: Sonnet: Unable to load plugin "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so" Error: "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/sonnet/sonnet_voikko.so: (libvoikko.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
kf.sonnet.core: No language dictionaries for the language: "en_IN" trying to load en_US as default
kf.sonnet.core: No language dictionaries for the language: "en_US"
kf.sonnet.core: No language dictionaries for the language: "en_IN" trying to load en_US as default
kf.service.services: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "ThumbCreator" not found
qt.xkb.compose: failed to create compose table

then these errors are normal these will not prevent from opening kate

You can go to dolphin (your file manager) then go to

/etc/default

then right click grub and open it with kate

And firstly on newly installed manjaro do sudo pacman -Syyuu to upgrade coz many a time errors are due to package not being up-to-date

and any root or access error occur then use sudo before it it means root

and i will prefer using vscode it will make every editing easier and dont need a mess to use it

1 Like

If you mean how to open with sudo priviliges to edit a file then no need,just open the file normally and when you save it,it will ask for your root password.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone for trying to help. I still cant make it work so just have to live with it. I’ll leave the forum now and never darken its doorstep again.
Iv’e never used a mac and have very little knowledge of windows either. Manjaro is the one one for me, just have to keep trying to find solutions.

Also, after you edit your grub file you must type the following in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

and then reboot.

A Moderator told me its not rocket science to find the /etc/default/grub file, well it is for me. I’ve searched every folder I can find including hidden ones via Dolphin File Manager, its just not there. Obviously it must exist or the machine would not work.
Please help to solve this extremely frustrating situation, so I can just enjoy using my computer.
Many Thanks

Hi,

Have you tried to edit the file with nano? I tend to use this text editor for editing config files rather than Kate.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

The file is /etc/default/grub. You could just copy that name and open it in any editor.

Thank you for your suggestion. It did work but still leaves me with a problem. I don’t know how to make changes in that environment

Once you have edited the required line(s) press Ctrl + X, nano will ask if you want to save the changes, press y

Thank you but I don’t know how to edit. When trying before I couldn’t delete anything to make changes.

You should just be able to move the cursor around with the arrow keys to the place you want to make changes then Backspace and Delete should function as normal.

EDIT: You could also open Kate using the terminal kate /etc/default/grub and make the changes that way. Don’t use sudo, Kate will ask you for your password when you save the file.

Thank you so much. It hasn’t solved my original issue but at least I’ve learned how to edit.
Probably some of the advice given previously will now help.

Did you do a

sudo update-grub

after you finished editing?

On a more serious note though.

If you don’t know how to edit a text file, either with Kate or with nano, you probably shouldn’t be editing important system files at all.

Ah yes but I DO NOW, thanks to a very kind person, who has my eternal gratitude.

I’m glad you didn’t give up!

Thanks, still not quite there. why am I seeing this please?
/etc/default/grub: line 29: o: command not found

ps This message shows while trying to save& exit.

After setting the correct resolution for my screen & correctly saving/closing changes in the /etc/default/grub file, then applying sudo update-grub everything looks great. Wow what a learning curve.
My sincere thanks to ALL who gave positive support.