How to stop Gnome system automatically suspending

Hello, how do I stop the suspend option automatically executing ?
I am using a desktop PC.
Thanks Peter

Some info about my system

[peter@peter-pc ~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:	n/a
Distributor ID:	ManjaroLinux
Description:	Manjaro Linux
Release:	20.1
Codename:	Mikah
[peter@peter-pc ~]$ uname -r
5.4.62-1-MANJARO
Desktop: GNOME 3.36.5 tk: GTK 3.24.23 wm: gnome-shell dm: LightDM 1.30.0

Settings → Power → Automatic Suspend

1 Like

Is this from Manjaro Settings icon ? If so I’m not seeing a power option.
I only have options for Locale Settings, Language Packages, Kernel, User Accounts, Time and Date, Keyboard Settings and Hardware Configuration.

No, plain Gnome Settings.

1 Like

I don’t have that icon, can I install it ?

Click on Activities and search it by typing Settings.
Should be installed by default, package is called gnome-control-center.

2 Likes

Not seeing that option, I think something must have gone wrong with the initial install ?
I only see
Manjaro Settings…
LightDM GTK+…
KDE Connect Settings…
Print Settings…
AppImageLaunch…
Manjaro Notifier…

Ok, I’ve found the package and am currently installing it …
Installed ok.
I now have the option to turn off the automatic suspend function. :slight_smile:

Hello,

So you installed Gnome after another DE and you are using the same user for all?
Might get into some issues on the way, but … probably you can manage :slight_smile:
The solution goes to @freggel.doe :wink:

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of - probably unintentional.
I really wanted XFCE but Gnome was installed instead, maybe I chose the wrong image to install I can’t remember.
I may scrub completely and install XFCE . My home folder is on another partition,sda6, so this should be unaffected if I wipe my Manjaro partition sda7 ?

If you will install the system on another partition yes, will not affect your home, but always keep in mind that some configurations from a different DE, kept in your home might interfere with configurations from new DE install.

1 Like

Shouldn’t different desktop settings files be kept in different folders for each DE ?

Yes, but for instance if you keep in ~/.config/autostart/ something from another DE, or specific to it, might get funky. GTK+ settings are a bit different too between Gnome and XFCE or KDE.
.xinitrc file is different also …

1 Like

Please do that. It will save everyone time and less headaches all around. Start fresh, pay attention this time and don’t start randomly installing different DE’s without realizing you don’t even have Settings.

1 Like

I don’t like your attitude.
For your information I do not install DEs randomly, I think that through one of the upgrades something must have gone wrong.
I’m trying a fresh install of 20.1-rc6 Mikah onto a new disk and I can’t even get that to work!
New query launched.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.