How to start contributing in manjaro?

I am using manjaro for 3 years now. I am like using manjaro. I want to contribute to manjaro development. Can you guys help me with where to start?

Sure, what do you want to do? What are your interests and skills?

Some example of contributing to Manjaro:

• support. Help others in the forum with their technical problems and write tutorials
  • translation. Help translating Manjaro applications to other languages
  • development. Develop and patch applications for Manjaro
  • art. Create and share art for Manjaro (wallpapers, themes, etc)
  • testing. Test stuff and submit bug reports and feature requests
  • maintenance. Spin your own community edition or contribute to one of the existing ones. Bug reports and pull requests official editions are also invaluable
  • documentation. Help updating and maintaining the wiki.

These are the typical low barrier roles. With longer shared history, other positions of responsibility include:

• moderator. Keeping the forums civil and organized.
  • packager. Keeping Manjaro repositories up to date. If you are interested in this, the best way to get started is to maintain AUR packages and send pull requests to Manjaro PKGBUILDs

If you know what you are are interested in doing, I can point you to a right direction.

11 Likes

I am interested in working for the maintenance part. I have basic knowledge of how the kernel works (through the college’s operating system course) and want to learn more aspects about working of the operating systems.

1 Like

The kernel package repos are here, you can open issues and send pull requests there. The notifications don’t work very well on our gitlab instance, so you might want to ping the maintainer when you open an issue.

The iso-profiles are here. You can also check with profile-validate -v if manjaro-architect branch profiles are outdated.

The gitlab repos should have a request access button. You need developer access to create branches for your suggested changes.

1 Like

What is ISO profiles btw?

They are what is used to configure the isos that people download to install manjaro. They determine what packages get installed, what files are overwrite en and what services are enabled

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.