How to run pam-auth-update?

i’m following this github in order to get fingerprint login to work on my t480 and I got to the point where I need to run “pam-auth-update” but the terminal says that it’s not a command, what do I need to install to be able to run pam-auth-update? i’m following a github with the title “python-validity” by uunicorn

pam-auth-update is a command - but probably only present in Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora
but not on Arch/Manjaro (or it has a different name here).
I don’t know what it does but all the info you need to set up a fingerprint reader is probably in the Arch wiki.

fprint - ArchWiki

particularly the “Configuration” section of that wiki article

Also, the man mentioned and provided a link a comment on the AUR page for this software
which I hope you got the software from … :wink:

1 Like

i’m following that and can’t seem to enroll my fringerprint, I get this error message

sudo fprintd-enroll                                      ✔  6s  
Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
EnrollStart failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.25" (uid=0 pid=748 comm="/usr/bin/python3 /usr/lib/open-fprintd/open-fprint") interface="io.github.uunicorn.Fprint.Device" member="EnrollStart" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.23" (uid=0 pid=501 comm="python3 /usr/lib/python-validity/dbus-service --de")

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

I’m not convinced of that. :wink:

Why are you using sudo?

Are you sure you need that thing from github?
It’s nowhere mentioned in that Arch wiki.

haha I’m trying.
I have some improvement, I’m getting a different error now. I uninstalled the github thing. I double checked and my device is detected with lsusb but not supported with fprintd, I’m trying to follow the last paragraph on the wiki for this error but I’m unsure how to check the fprintd.service logs in the Journal, I though it would be

journalctl -u fprintd.service

because i see that’s how to show all messages by a specific unit, and the .service was the same in the example, but I’m clearly missing something obvious haha
Thank you so much for your time and help!

If you positively know that then I don’t see the utility in looking for errors?

Under “Installation” there are a few other options given.

and perhaps share what device you have, hardware info in general, so that other people might be able to help

I can’t really, because I do not have such a device and never had.

1 Like

I got it working, I looked over the instructions again and uninstalled fprintd and when installing python-validity it installed open-fprintd and fprintd-client and then

fprint-enroll

worked like a charm and I can login and use my fingerprint as a auth password

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.