How to run memtest86+ in Manjaro?

Hi. I see there is memtest files in /boot/memtest86+ folder.
There is even section in /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+ ###
if [ "${grub_platform}" == "pc" ]; then
    menuentry "Memory Tester (memtest86+)" --class memtest86 --class gnu --class tool {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root  5d7a533c-7c16-4026-b28c-1bd1f407e3ff
        linux16 /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin 
    }
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+ ###

but there is no memtest showing up in grub menu.
Also the latest live image on boot didn’t show any memtest options…

have the memtest86+ 5.01-4 also installed, but this is exactly this thing in boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin which is nowhere to be found in grub menu.

any suggestions?

Are you booting in Uefi mode or bios (legacy) ?

Memtest doesn’t show if you boot in Uefi mode.

Normally in UEFI (I don’t think there is even an option to boot in BIOS mode).
But how can I choose to boot in legacy bios from manjaro live USB?
And isn’t there already a UEFI version of memtest?

source

Starting from MemTest86 v5, the code was re-written to support self-booting from the newer UEFI platform. The software still remains free to use without restrictions. The MemTest86 v4 project is still maintained and remains open source, for use on old machines with BIOS. However, from V5 with the latest release being V8.3 the software is being released under a proprietary license. Development on the MemTest86+ version seems to be discontinued as there have been no updates since 2013

1 Like

Probably download and create a bootable USB from their image? I see a PDF in their archive called MemTest86_User_Guide_UEFI.pdf

1 Like

Can’t this be integrated into Manjaro?

You could probably do something similar to that [HowTo] Booting manjaro iso directly with grub but this is not simple as copy pasting the original tutorial. This is just to show you a possibility.

Its in “/etc/default/grub” and by default is disabled.
Just tried it and it does not work!

right now went with the AUR memtest86-efi. it does work, but it’s a lof of gringe because it uses the gringy PassMark proprietary “free” version :smiley: