How to return old Kernel version?

I can’t boot my pc since i updated. And i think this stems from new kernel. Current version is linux515, i want to return linux54. How does it?

You can have multiple kernels installed at the same time. If you already have, you can choose them from the GRUB menu. If not, you can install another version in a chroot from a live ISO.

See:

1 Like

Boot up from the installer CD/DVD/USB in live mode. Then open up a terminal window and issue the following commands… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a
mhwd-kernel -i linux54
sync
exit
systemctl reboot

At the GRUB menu, choose "Advanced options for Manjaro Linux". Select the 5.4 kernel. After your system has booted up, you can remove the 5.15 kernel with… :arrow_down:

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux515
1 Like

how to open grub menu :pensive: im newbie this platform

Tap Esc or hold Shift while booting.

2 Likes

In addition to what @Yochanan said, if you want to make the GRUB menu permanently visible at every boot, open up the file /etc/default/grub and look for this line ─ it’s near the top of the file… :arrow_down:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

Change that into… :arrow_down:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

… and save the file. Then run the following command in a terminal window… :arrow_down:

sudo update-grub

i boot from usb and wrote your codes and its not working unfortunately

What do you mean by “It’s not working”?

Always remember that the quality of the help you’ll get depends on the quality of the information you provide. A line like “It’s not working” doesn’t tell us anything.

thank you so much, i boot with the version i want. but the computer still can’t open :neutral_face:

Then your initial hypothesis

might be wrong if you boot with the different kernel and if I uderstand your words

correctly then you boot to black screen again.

AMD Athlon II X4 620 is your Processor? It is quite old. You should better try a Linux distribution which is specially developed for old hardware. My recommendation is antiX.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.