How to remove the grub boot option and just load Manjaro?

Hello.

I decided to remove my windows 10 and I want to go full Manjaro on my machine but the grub bootloader option is still there. I am trying to find a solution in youtube but all the tutorials are catered for when you remove Linux and go back to windows only.

can you give me some link on how to remove my bootloader?

thank you.

Hi @nukecrayon,

AFAIK the GRUB boot loader cannot be removed. Only hidden that it seems to be removed. Or replaced, but about that I can’t help you.

AFAIK, to hide GRUB, edit /etc/default/grub:

nano /etc/default/grub

And changed GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE to hidden:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

and set GRUB_TIMEOUT to 0:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Save, Ctrl+O, and Exit, Ctrl+X → Y.

Then you have to update grub:

sudo update-grub

And reboot.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Hi @nukecrayon

I see what @nukecrayon suggested is perfect.
But out of curiosity I ask, if you decided to trash Win10, why not do a fresh Manjaro installation? If I were in your place I would do that. (just my humble personal preference to be sure nothing of my disk is wasted to Win10, and boot is only Manjaro).

Don’t do that - you need a bootloader - no matter what

If you comment the following line in /etc/default/grub

# GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

And rebuild grub

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The Windows entry should be omitted - without having to completely remove Windows.

3 Likes

You can’t start any computer without a bootloader

Even windows uses one :wink:

You can use:

• grub
  • refind
  • systemd boot
    and there are others. (Please have a look into the arch wiki)

But be warned !

1. This is not easy
  2. It may be fragile
  3. It may break with any update
  4. You may be on your own

It is not without reason that manjaro uses grub
:sunglasses:

1 Like

because i want to preserve all the software I installed and the configuration I did. Will my software gonna comeback if I timeshift after I fresh install Manjaro?

thank you. this works. I removed the partition of win10 and extend my manjaro size.

thank you for the heads up and help. this bootloader topic is kinda hard for a casual user like me. I just want to preserve all my software and configuration I’ve done. I can just freshly install this but i’m thinking about all the software I downloaded.

Good point @nukecrayon
That’s a good reason. I believe there is a way to do this even if you made a fresh install.
During my distrohopping I was able to create an .iso from my system, and create a bootable USB flash disk (same as creating from downloaded iso), then fresh install from this USB that ended up with having EVERYTHING, even user name and password, user data, software and configuration installed. That is you get your machine exactly how it was when you created the iso.

My 2 cents:

• through commands run in terminal to first create the iso, then creat the bootable USB.
  • I saw an app at MX Linux, you just right click the iso file, open it with this app (while USB is plugged in) and leave it to create the bootable USB (after creating the iso of your system)

I would suggest Manjaro developers can introduce an app to create the iso file from the already installed Manjaro ONLY system (without Win10) and make use of the MX app (it is open source anyway)

I’m sure Manjaro devs. can do even much better.

I hope they read this, or someone create a thread or pass this suggestion to developers. (I am a bit shy of suggesting it as I know they are already too busy developing and maintaining the amazing Manjaro, this is just a hope to see Manjaro even better and more user friendly)

Maybe there is something already in Manjaro I don’t know of.

There is already something more flexible in that line:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Build_Manjaro_ISOs_with_buildiso

2 Likes

Thanks @Mirdarthos
I had a look at the link, it answers part of the request, just building the iso, (it seems so techie for me), not that simple as an app or a single command.

Maybe there is something easier I hope. Just an app or a single command to create iso, and an app or single command to create the bootable USB from that iso.

Building an ISO is not a single, easy 1-line command. It takes work and maintenance.

1 Like

I know it is not that simple.
What I remember I did was a “dd” command to create the iso from the system, then another “dd” command to create the bootable USB.
I am trying to find details on other forums I’ve been to.

It was all “dd” command as far as I remember. The main problem was with specifying the options, folders… for the “dd” command.

UPDATE:
I found this How to Clone Your Linux Hard Drive: 4 Methods and this Snapshot System - Baloo Issues

I hope this gives a clue about how best to use “dd” to snapshot the system.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.