How to reboot directly from a usb device?

Hi, I would like to reboot directly into a live usb os with a terminal command, is it possible?
The reason is that my laptop make a bip every time the F12 key is pressed to enter the list of bootable devices, and it can’t be deactivated.

I’m afraid not. You can reboot into the system’s firmware interface (on UEFI systems) or into a specific entry in the GRUB menu, but not to a different storage device.

However, what you could do ─ at least, with most firmware, including a legacy BIOS ─ is tell the firmware to look for a bootable USB medium first before booting from the internal drive. If no such medium is present, then the system will boot from the internal drive, and if a medium is present, it’ll detect this and will attempt to boot from that.

And why exactly is that a problem? :astonished:

Thanks for the answers.
I know that but I don’t want to activate that possibility, my oldest kid is getting dangerous for comouters.

Because that bip sound could disturb those who are already sleeping nex to me of course, my wife and my little doughter.

It’s possible on a UEFI machine.
Use

$ sudo efibootmgr --bootnext XXXX

where XXXX is the boot entry of your usb device. To get a list of all available entries:

$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0002,0001,2002,2003,2001
Boot0000* manjaro
Boot0001* EFI PXE 0 for IPv4 (80-FA-5B-8C-59-E9) 
Boot0002* Arch Linux EFISTUB
Boot2001* EFI USB Device
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
Boot2003* EFI Network

So this would amount to

$ sudo efibootmgr --bootnext 2001 && systemctl reboot

on this machine.

2 Likes

Thanks, thats not my case but interesting.