How to make SDDM work on Wayland?

How do I get SDDM to work on Wayland? The entire system runs on Wayland except for SDDM.

Hi @vladyslav,

See

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM#Wayland

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Here is the procedure I used for Wayland to work:

1. Install the Manjaro KDE Plasma edition.
2. Select the Wayland option at the SDDM login screen.
3. Log in.

Nothing else is needed if Manjaro is installed according to general expectations.

Cheers.

Thank you)

1 Like

It doesn’t work like that. In the Wayland system, however, SDDM is separate from the system. But I solved the problem with the help of Mirdarthos. Thanks.

For the benefit of others finding this thread, how specifically did you solve it?

You have to create the file /etc/sddm.conf.d/10-wayland.conf, as specified at the Arch Wiki. :point_down:

[General]
DisplayServer=wayland
GreeterEnvironment=QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=layer-shell

[Wayland]
CompositorCommand=kwin_wayland --drm --no-lockscreen --no-global-shortcuts --locale1 --inputmethod qt6-virtualkeyboard
2 Likes

In addition to theming, I presume this also allows qt6-virtualkeyboard to work as expected; there have been queries about that lately, that I didn’t know how to answer.

Indeed. :wink:

1 Like

…and yet, it does not; only in X11 does it work (with the inclusion of the qtvirtualkeyboard input method). :person_shrugging:

Well, I can’t say, really. I’ve just made the switch to Wayland myself only yesterday, and I haven’t tried that virtual keyboard yet. :man_shrugging:

It was a fair guess that it should have helped, though. :wink:

Overall, the transition to Qt6 is still progressing faster than previous incarnations, so, I can’t complain.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.