How to install the WiFi driver for my MacBook Pro Retina late 2013?

Hello

I am coming from Ubuntu. Initially my WiFi does not work there either. I can install the proper driver though with sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source to get it work work. What is the equivalent on Manjaro? I recognized that there is no apt and the package certainly has a different name too, but I could not find either. I know that I have a broadcom device installed.

Thanks for your help,
Christoph

1 Like

Hmmm…
Try sudo pacman -S bcmwl-kernel-source
But it would have been better and 100% sure if you could install Manjaro while having an internet connection (ethernet port or USB Hotspot from a phone)

This is the output of lspci:

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)

I will try to install the driver that way. I used my phone as Hotspot and connected to it via Bluetooth. So I installed Manjaro being connected to the internet. I just could not get my WiFi working. Everthing else just worked right away.

Update: Unfortunately pacman tells me that it could not find the target, so I assume that the package name is not correct :slightly_frowning_face:

I think the correct driver is broadcom-wl
You have two options:

1. Install the kernel module matching your kernel. For example, in my case:
    sudo pacman -S linux54-broadcom-wl

2. Install the dkms kernel module:
    sudo pacman -S dkms linux54-headers broadcom-wl-dkms
    (note linux54-headers is kernel specific)

The advantage of 1 is being faster to install and update. The advantage of 2 is the module updating itself automatically upon each kernel update or change. There is no difference concerning performance.

Thanks a lot. That worked :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.