How to install nvidia driver without getting black screen?

I am once again trying to install the driver from nvidia but I am afraid to end up in the saga of the black screen again, something I can’t take anymore. I wish I could make both the integrated Intel driver and the dedicated Nvidia driver work.
But every time I make this attempt it is a tremendous defeat and the forum staff spends hours trying to help fix it. I will show you how the inxi -G is doing and if anyone can help me from there I thank you

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] driver: N/A 
           Device-3: Sunplus Innovation HD WebCam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: intel resolution: 1: 1366x768~60Hz 2: 1600x900~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3

What’s the output of:

mhwd -li
1 Like

Could this be a laptop Optimus issue? Having both Nvidia (no driver installed) and Intel onboard HD5500 seems unusual.

I use dual boot, the nvidia driver is perfectly installed on windows, the problem is only with manjaro

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2020.11.30               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Hi T,
If you ever have problems again I would recommend checking the documentation to make sure you are installing all the required software to support GPU switching in a hybrid setup… Personally I’ve always steered a wide birth of such systems and have a preference for discrete GPU/CPU systems i.e. no APU.
Some reading as of today for you:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hybrid_graphics
https://www.bumblebee-project.org/install.html#Arch
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Bumblebee#Installation
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Installation

Note Manjaro is a fork of Arch, so with a few exceptions nearly all Arch documentation and tutorials apply to Manjaro too. All these links contain sublinks for more information, it’s worth looking through these too.
Otherwise good luck with your set up.

1 Like

Can you post mhwd -l

yes my frind! @omano
sorry for the delay, i had problems at work which caused other priorities! Hope it still organizes to help me dear friends.

mhwd -l

> 0000:02:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:04:00.0 (0302:10de:1299) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2020.11.30               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2020.11.30               false            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:1616) Display controller Intel Corporation:
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

Thank you dear friend, I will patiently read and follow the steps of each of the links you gave me, I hope to get a positive result this time, I’m a little frustrated because I’ve been with manjaro for almost 2 years and I still haven’t been able to configure NDVIA, I know that this time I will be victorious!

1 Like

I ended up installing what I saw in the tutorials posted here on the forum, but the driver in the inxi -G command as n/a

1 Like

It’s a bit late my friend, but good luck with your system. I hope all goes well and remains stable