How to install GNOME in Manjaro KDE

Hello.
I have Manjaro KDE, and I want to install the gnome desktop environment because I want to try it but I don’t want to install manjaro again. I’ve tried many tutorials on the internet net, but they don’t work. Can you tell me how to do it?

As far as I have seen - it is not a good idea to install multiple DEs on a single system (OS instance).
There is always one thing conflicting with the other.
Which is why - I think most of the tutorials don’t work.

1 Like

I personally am not aware of a method that works to change DE. It is possible to get similar look and feel by setting up Latte dock and tweaking KDE to look like GNOME. It is also possible to install Oracle VM, download Manjaro GNOME and try it through VM (if your computer supports that). Other than these two, I think it is only possible to change DE by doing a clean install or dual boot.

It’s perfectly possible to install other DEs on top. It will mess up the system but it’s possible.

It is possible to install and run multiple desktop environments, however you should perhaps be prepared to require fixing a few issues that may arise. In general, it is recommended to create separate users for each desktop environment used; this is not a hard-and-fast rule though, just less likely to run into issues (oten due to shared/overwritten config files). Manjaro guide for installing desktop environments: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Install_Desktop_Environments and this page on the Arch wiki may also be of use: Desktop environment - ArchWiki

1 Like

I was just thinking, is it possible to install both KDE as well as Gnome (or whichever combination) but somehow specify each’s configuration subdirectory, seperate from the other?

For example, have a Gnome configuration subdirectory in ~/.config:

$HOME/.config/gnome/

And for KDE a seperate one:

$HOME/.config/kde/

This way settings should, theoretically, not be messed up. I can’t really think of any use cases for it, except MAYBE in teaching, but it was just a thought.

Theorically, yes. But it’s not that simple. First, not all configs will be tidily located in Gnome or KDE folders and may be scattered all around.

Some configs could also be common, and overwritten by the 2nd DE. Instabilities ensue…

Manjaro Gnome ships some Qt apps/configs, Manjaro KDE some GTK. Mixing both will overlaps the whole thing…

It could work well, but the house will be built on some ugly and unstable foundations.

That’s why I just asked, I understand perfectly theory and practice can be 2 completely different things.

I stopped when I messed my grub during an update, but I’ve used to have for months a triple boot with Manjaro KDE/Gnome/Cinnamon.

I prefer to separate DEs, so that the systems might stay safe and I could benefit the “true” Gnome or KDE experience, not a hybrid one.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s totally understandable. And besides, if you just want to check it out, then you can, and should, use a live ISO.

I understand it completely. Just something I thought about.

You don’t want a clean install - what you’re saying is you want to install Gnome over KDE and kind of ‘blend’ the settings?

One way is to create a new user - which separates it a little.

Using Timeshift is a great idea… and use the Timeshift backup to copy stuff you need back when you switch DE.

Some things from your old /home (like an .easystroke gestures config) won’t work well with another DE. but others (like your .zshrc) certainly could.

Definitely be prepared with USB’s with KDE and Gnome prepared (it’s only a ten minute install and then Timeshift restore to get back then).

Once you’ve got your restore plan, then just go for it…

I’d certainly say the minimum is to go for

/home/Gben/.config/gnome
/home/ben/.config/kde

The ‘permissions’ isn’t a problem - from my ‘TEST’ user I can import configs from my Timeshift.

Due to the insane amount of customization in my KDE, I would certainly not mess with it - so a very solid backup plan is called for there.