How to install bspwm on a clean laptop?

Hello,

I bought new Lenovo Legion 5i pro i9-12900H. It came clean, without OS.
I would like to install BSPWM on it. How do I go about that ?? Is there .iso some where ?? or
do I have to use manjaro architect and if so, where can I find latest architect iso…
Please help… :sweat_smile:

P.S. If this is not the right category for the question, feel free to move it.

Hi,

You can simply install any manjaro edition and then (there was a bspwm edition but it doesn’t exist anymore)

sudo pacman -S bspwm

Tnx for replying… I was thinking more like a clean bspwm install, with manjaro architect, so that I can have a mix with say xfdesktop, xfce4-power-manager and xfce4-settings. I am googling whole day, watching videos how to do this…

So you want bspwm alongside with xfce ?

Only with these packages xfdesktop, xfce4-power-manager and xfce4-settings, nothing else from xfce

I think the simplest solution would be to get the i3 minimal edition, then install bspwm and everything you want and uninstall i3 (I don’t know what comes preinstalled on it though)

Or install a minimalist distro (like arch)

Its still available here, but the last update was from 2014

https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarobspwn/

When I click on it, it says Whoops, we can’t find that page.

Don’t use this.

There is no method to specifically install bspwm there is however an archived ISO - it may suit your purpose - no guarantee however.

manjaro-architect is in the repo - unmaintained - but what state the profiles are in - I have no idea.

Technically - you can install manjaro-architect using any live ISO (don’t use -u on a live ISO)

sudo pacman -Sy manjaro-architect

It installs a tool to validate the profiles

profiles-validate

Then you can manually amend the profile in question to fix the error.

I have occasionally used manjaro-architect and it usually works if the profile has no errors.

I will try this (both options). Thanks…

EDIT:
I just played around with the bspwm profile - I see why it has been removed from manjaro-architect.

There is some conflicts and missing packages - this is easy to work around.

There’s still no guarantee an ISO will work as you expect.

That said - my playing around resulted in a minimal ISO which I have not tested - only built it - I will make available for you as is - with no guarantees - whatsoever - implied or otherwise.

I will PM you with a link upon request.

As I am googling and watching videos how to do this I stumbled up on this thread

In that repo there is a .iso made 13 hours ago. I downloaded it and am preparing to try it.

But Please send me your link so I have that as well.

I really want to make this work + I am learning a lot while doing…

That may be - but bspwm as predefined profile - is not available in manjaro-architect.

You can create a basis commandline install - then add extra packages for bspwm - but the predefined profile appears unmaintained and therefore not available using manjaro-architect.

PM’ed you a link …

Weird

Not that I would trust it either, mind you but it is there.

Hello

Just to close the topic :slight_smile:
I managed to install bspwm using the unofficial iso from

Its very light and a lot of things are missing in terms of installing. I installed a lot of packages and when I booted into the machine they were missing for some or another reason… :man_shrugging:
Now I gradually install packages as I need them :slight_smile:

I want to thank you all for giving me direction, especially to @linux-aarhus.

Basically what I have now is manjaro backend and bspwm and some xfce4 packages as frontend :slight_smile:

I google a lot to try and make this work…

Cheers…

1 Like

Search the repo for bspwm related packages

pamac search bspwm

The settings packages used to create the Manjaro experience is in the repo.

The settings is placed in /etc/skel (remember they mostly reside in a dot folder)

1 Like

IMO, the best way to make more customized or unmaintained community version iso’s is buildiso tool in manjaro-tools-git

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.