How to install a package without system update

Hi,

I’d like to know how to install a package without system update/upgrade ?

Thanks a lot

Don’t do this you risk to break your system…

2 Likes

Hi!
Just run sudo pacman -Sy package
This will update the repos and install the package without upgrade the system

The upgrade breaks my system.

Partial updates are not supported, that’s it

3 Likes

Then try to fix this. On a rolling release distro as Manjaro you need to update at least once a month if you don’t want to get into trouble. If that’s not possible for you then you should really think about if a rolling release distro is the right one for you.

4 Likes

I update/upgrade as soon as suggested and so far so good.
But this time, the upgrade from kernel 5.6 to 5.7 crashes the amdgpu.
And since that’s not fixed, i should install no more packages ?

If you continue to install packages your existing packages could be outdated for the new packages, this is as @Lolix pointed out already a partial update. You could be lucky and see no problems for some packages, for others it could break your system. So, it’s your decision.

1 Like

Hi!
I don’t know about that. I did use 5.6, then 5.7 and now 5.8 with amd without problems.
What problems do you have?

I have a blackscreen but TTY available with alt+F2

I made a “journalctl -b -1 -p err”

and:
– Logs begin at Wed 2020-06-03 10:48:02 CEST, end at Thu 2020-09-10 10:02:33 CEST. –
sept. 08 12:38:27 kleinseb-AM5 kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\SMIB], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20200110/dsfield-627)
sept. 08 12:38:27 kleinseb-AM5 kernel: sp5100-tco sp5100-tco: Watchdog hardware is disabled
sept. 08 12:38:29 kleinseb-AM5 systemd-backlight[923]: Failed to get backlight or LED device ‘backlight:acpi_video0’: No such device
sept. 08 12:38:29 kleinseb-AM5 systemd[1]: Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0.
sept. 08 12:38:31 kleinseb-AM5 kernel: [drm:mod_hdcp_add_display_topology [amdgpu]] ERROR Failed to add display topology, DTM TA is not initialized.
sept. 08 12:38:31 kleinseb-AM5 kernel: [drm:mod_hdcp_add_display_topology [amdgpu]] ERROR Failed to add display topology, DTM TA is not initialized.
sept. 08 12:38:44 kleinseb-AM5 gdm-password][1275]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

So i used a timeshift snapshot.

My config:
Asus Vivobook S533IA-BQ086T
Linux 5.6.19-2-MANJARO x86_64 20.0.3 Lysia Gnome 3.36.4
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U with Radeon Graphics, [AMD/ATI] Renoir (rev c2) X11

Hi!
Did you try with 5.8? It would be the best option for your brand new hardware

Yes, I did. Same issue.
I choosed manjaro for a better support on new hardware than ubuntu based distros (wifi drivers availables on AUR for example…).

Thank you visone for your answer. It works and after reboot no problems on the way… May be i should take another timeshift snapshot :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.