How to improve Manjaro Boot Speed?

I am quite new to Linux Era. Just switched from Windows because in future I have to depend on Linux.

And for me Linux is the best Operating System in comparison of speed and many thing.

But, there is big problem which is kind of making me annoyed. Which is the boot speed of manjaro or any other linux distro. I don’t know why but I see that people are able to boot within 5-6 seconds but why not mine.

Because in mine it takes upto 45-50sec to finally boot up.

I just want to half my boot speed. Something 20-23sec…

How can I?

I have a 4GB RAM and Intel core i3 processor. And also last night I did clean boot of manjaro. Deleted everything in my laptop by having some necessary backups.

BTW is there any solution to boot within 20-25seconds?

I had a dual boot laptop. As already told before I am a windows user who came to Linux. And in Windows I had boot speed something 15-20s. But as I know windows is heavy operating system but Linux is known for its Lite version.

Then why there is slow boot problem?

Here is my boot speed!

Startup finished in 6.135s (firmware) + 5.961s (loader) + 4.393s (kernel) + 37.638s (userspace) = 54.129s
graphical.target reached after 37.638s in userspace

2 Likes

Hi,

Then why there is slow boot problem?

Maybe because you are dual booting ? Personally I only have manjaro and my boot time is about 15s

So besides wiping W$, a solution would be to use a distro that does not use systemd as an init, which is not the case of manjaro (and 95% of distros)

Some of these distros are:

• gentoo
  • funtoo
  • void
  • artix
  • parabola
  • slackware
  • mx linux
  • devuan

But !!!

These distros, except mx, are targeted towards “experienced” users, I highly do not suggest you to install one of these if the command line freaks you out, since most of these distros don’t even have a gui installer.

Also, people who have super fast boot time typically have super minimalist and optimized configs, and I doubt you can do this with manjaro (it’s not the aim of the distro (I think))

1 Like

Post the output of systemd-analyze blame. Also make sure GRUB_TIMEOUT (set in /etc/default/grub ) is not set very high and stalling every boot.

1 Like

and if you edit the grub file don’t forget to run ‘sudo update-grub’ after editing.

btw. is the file-indexing-service active? if so i recommend to deactivate it, it’s useless for a desktop-user and waste too much time and cpu-load.

your cpu is still good but 4GB RAM is even under Linux hard at the Limit. 8GB is a good compromise and should be standard nowadays. it’s a good choice to upgrade the RAM if possible.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    [HowTo] Provide System Information
    and press the three dots below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:+1:

P.S. If you want to notify me that you did provide this information, please :heart: this message and I’ll come back and have another look.
P.P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which exact CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time

1 Like

Because they have an SSD.

So your computer is not very powerful. A lighter edition like XFCE would be faster on it.

1 Like

If you want to go for light-weight, I recommend Manjaro LXqt, albeit unofficial at the moment, because from what has been said here, even KDE is lighter at the moment.

1 Like

Could it be related to the type of partition table as it happened to me recently?

hey, it is totally cleaned up… I have a laptop with just manjaro installed as a defualt os… It is totally cleaned up.

6.692s snapd.service
6.081s udisks2.service
5.702s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-a20bf45d\x2d0ab2\x2d45be\x2d85a2\x2dea013ffde4eb.service
5.700s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-B1DE\x2dFBFD.service
5.212s polkit.service
3.944s dev-sda1.device
3.070s cups.service
2.643s bluetooth.service
2.642s avahi-daemon.service
2.633s NetworkManager.service
2.594s systemd-logind.service
2.096s upower.service
2.035s ModemManager.service
1.686s apparmor.service
 983ms systemd-modules-load.service
 966ms ldconfig.service
 805ms systemd-sysusers.service
 724ms user@1000.service
 629ms lvm2-monitor.service
 546ms systemd-udevd.service

I am very very new to LINUX please help me…

Snap takes a lot of time. So if you don’t use snap apps,

sudo systemctl disable snapd.service

BTW I would like to say you… LINUX is know for it’s lite edition which is something should be booted quickly… as I already told my windows 10 was able to boot within 10-15seconds.

Is Manjaro heavier than windows 10?

Windows does not “completely” “shut down” by default, if I’m right. It uses some kind of hibernation ish mechanism for fast startup.

And a SSD would surely make things faster. For example, my full disk install of Manjaro takes approximately 13-15 seconds to boot.

Manjaro is absolutely way lighter than Windows, but it is not the absolute lightest of all the linux distros. You might look into vanilla Arch if you want that kind of lightweight :smirk:

To say it clearly, windofs is cheating by not “booting”, but instead using a sort of hibernation. It says to the user: shutdown. But it does not.
And when you are through “boot” windows will not react fast. Because it cheats in that it shows a nice screen, when it is not ready to perform tasks yet. …

You see the real time windows needs for booting, when you advice windows to reboot. Then it does what it says, and it takes its time.

I think it has already been mentioned:
a spinning disk vs a solid state (ssd) makes a huge difference

What makes this noticeable on a spinning disk is
how large the partition is vs. the size of the operating system

What I mean is:
the actual OS might be ~8 GB to ~15 GB
when this is spread out over a partition size of 1 TB (in my case)
combined with the fact that updates happen quite often
the files that need to be found and loaded are spread out across the entire disk
… long seek times … especially with slow laptop disks

My OS (on a spinnng disk) takes way more than a minute to come up.

I have several virtual machines on it.
Booting either one of these up is way faster that to boot the OS they are running on.
… because their virtual disk is one relatively small and contiguous file
which means less disk seek and thus less time to load the OS.

The upshot might be:
use a relatively small system partition - not all on one huge disk/partition
and it will load faster

1 Like

thanks for it I did what you said…

Do hibernation also works with Manjaro? because I have tried hibernating but still no effect to booting speed… it is quite same 1 minute <

What I do?

Yes, it does.
You might need to configure it - you definitely need a swap partition or a swap file for that.

Wake up from hibernation is not the same as booting
the contents of memory are saved to the swap area on the hard disk
and read back from there.
If this is still as slow as booting - your disk is slow …

… do something else in the few seconds that it takes :wink:

Manjaro KDE boot speed is so slow that it takes longer than one minute, something 1mintute and 20seconds.

But why?

I had windows on my pc with dual boot to linux manjaro but windows was able to fully boot in 10-15seconds but here case is totally different it is taking so long that I am totally annoyed.

BTW here is my system specifications:-

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.90.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.15.16-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10GHz
Memory: 3.8 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 5500

Any suggestions because even more than 10years old system that people use are able to boot within 5-8seconds then why not mine system can boot just in 18-20seconds?

Edit : my laptop age is 6 <

I have done clean install of manjaro kde so that this problem can be fixed but it is not… now missing my windows 10 :frowning:

output of last -Fx shutdown reboot | head and systemd-analyze blame