How to fix the GRUB order?

Helo! First, I apologize for the English, as I’m using google translator.

I’m new to Manjaro and installed it in dual boot with windows 10. I noticed that whenever I choose one of the systems, its entry becomes default in grub on the next boot. I would like to know if there is a way to fix windows 10 as the main entrance, even though I used manjaro last.
Obs.: Windows is already in first in the grub list, but if I choose manjaro in the second line, in the next boot manjaro will start automatically. I always want windows to boot, because my father doesn’t know how to use the PC and can’t change it at boot time. Thank you very much in advance!

Welcome to the forum! :wink:

Okay, here’s what to do… Open up the file /etc/default/grub in an editor. Look for the following line… :arrow_down:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

If Windows is the first entry in the menu, replace the word saved with 0. If Windows is not at the top of the menu, use the number that corresponds to its entry in the menu, but remember that the first entry is “0”, the second entry is “1”, and so on.

Then next, look for the line that reads… :arrow_down:

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

… and change the word true into false.

Save the file ─ if you use a polkit-aware editor, it’ll prompt you for the root password, because writing to anything under /etc requires root privileges ─ and then run the following command in a terminal window… :arrow_down:

sudo update-grub

That’s it! Windows will now always be the default boot choice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m putting this here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Changing_the_default_menu_entry

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.