Please, my desktop computer is freezing randomly over time. I only use a web browser (Brave) and a text editor (Sublime Text) for coding.
Here are the things that I have tried so far to fix this issue:
- I have tried to format my system.
- I have tried to change my hard drive to a fast SSD.
- I have changed the motherboard and upgraded my RAM to DDR4 (I was using DDR2).
Note 1: It is good to note that my computer is freezing almost instantly without getting any time to check any memory consumption tool. My screen freezes along with my mouse and keyboard. No key will function anymore. Shortcuts to access the shell or to log out or to so anything won’t work anymore when the system freezes. I have tried every single key combination on my keyboard and went as far as creating custom shortcuts for accessing the shell or shutting down but nothing would work out. As if my keyboard is not connected anymore.
Note 2: There is no time limit for this freeze (or memory leak). It might happen after 1 hour of work or after 10 hours. Some days pass as well without it happening at all. I couldn’t manage as well to pin-point a specific event to this freezing event.
Before posting this thread, I decided to set a limit by editing the file at: /etc/security/limits.conf
I have added the following lines:
* soft core 0 * hard core unlimited * hard nproc 1024 root hard nproc 65536 * hard nice -19 root hard nice -20 * soft priority 0 * hard memlock 1000000 * hard nofile 8192
Note: I am not an expert with these settings and I am not even sure if limiting my system in such a way would help or not.
My System Specification:
- Operating System: Manjaro Linux - KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5 - KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0 - Qt Version: 5.15.2 - Kernel Version: 5.10.7-3-MANJARO - OS Type: 64-bit - Processors: 4 × AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics - Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM - Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Any ideas, tips, or solutions will be much appreciated! Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question.