How to extend EFI system partition?

I’m installing manjaro alongside Windows 10. I’ve shrank the windows partition from windows and I’ve created a couple partitions from it as well.

Now in the Manjaro installer I see EFI GPT. I select Manual partitioning, edit existing 100 MiB fat32 Windows Boot Manager partition, keep content, Mount Point /boot/efi, Flags boot. I format a partition as ext4, / Mount Point, Label Manjaro. I format another partition as linuxswap, give a swap flag and swap Lable. Then I click next and I get EFI system partition configured incorrectly. An EFI system partition is necessary to start Manjaro. To configure an EFI system partition, go back and select or create a suitable filesystem. The filesystem must be at least 300 MiB in size. You can continue without setting up an EFI system partition but your system may fail to start.

Should I continue or is there a way to extend the partition?

why dont you just create a partition where youll going to install manjaro, and select the option install alongside windows, and the installer should take care of the rest

1 Like

extend EFI ( fat32) is NOT a good idea ,
you will broken boot windows in this case

→ if size change , think that UUID can change ( in your case /boot/efi )

==> do a backup for windows 10 ,
==> redo partitions size

or see if possible, on another disk ( for linux , with /boot/efi )

To prevent interoperability issues with other operating systems[1][2] it is recommend to make it at least 300 MiB. For early and/or buggy UEFI implementations the size of at least 512 MiB might be needed.[3] If none of these are relevant issues, the partition size can be as small as 2 MiB, in which case it could house nothing more than a boot loader.
EFI system partition - ArchWiki

Supposing Windows 10 can manage with 100MB, and since Linux seems to support EFI partitions as small as 2MB, i’d say you could keep it as is.
:person_shrugging:

Just configure your actual EFI-partition as /boot/efi (select it in the partitioner) and go ahead. Manjaro will install without problems – even if it says it won’t. I also was confused when I installed it a few weeks ago, my EFI partition is about 200MB.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.