How to expand the system partition of type ext4 if it is the first partition in the partition list?

I opened kdepartitionmanager and don’t know what is the best way for me to make the ext4 partition be about 150GB size.

The main partition list is:

I also have this device:

I tried to edit the first partition but it cannot be expanded because the free space is not immediately after/before it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How can I extend the first ext4 partition in the first partition list? I think that ideally it should take space from the unallocated (“nealocat” in the first screenshot) space at the end of that partition list.

Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

First idea: delete the swap partition (while booting from live USB) and extend the root partition on it. Comment out the swap entry in fstab.
Second idea: clean the cache with
pamac clean --keep 2
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pamac#Cleaning_the_Cache
Third idea: create a new partition, then copy the content of /var to it and mount it on /var by /etc/fstab. On reboot mount the root partition and remove everything from the /mnt/var folder. (Ask for commands if unsure how to do it.)
Fourth idea: move /boot/efi partition to the right while booting from live USB.

2 Likes

The only way is to remove swap and occupy that space or move swap and efi to the end of the disk, but I don’t know if this would cause problems.

If what you need is just more storage, I would create a new partition in the free space and make the necessary changes to host the users’ homes there. This would also free up space in /.

2 Likes

You may use the methods from eugen-b’s post, but I think the easiest way is to download the Gparted-Live iso, make a bootable usb stick, boot into it and run gparted . On top of gparted you’ll see a graphical image of your partitions. After selecting a partition you can move and resize it. However, you have to start from “the tail”, i.e. you have to first establish the size you wish to increase your partition by, say 10 Gigs. Then move the right border of your /dev/nvme0n1p3 to the right exactly by 10 Gigs (just pull it with the mouse) and after that shrink it to the original size by moving the left border (by the way, do you really need the efi partition of such a huge size?). Do the same with all the rest partitions, but don’t shrink your desired / partition. Check twice, or better seven times. Apply changes.
A good thing here is that you don’t have to alter your fstab, gparted will keep the old UUIDs. I managed my partitions many times this way. And mind that it is always a good thing to have backups!

2 Likes

AFAIK gparted is also included in Manjaro ISOs (except Architect).

Yessir! This fact slipped out of my mind. Thank you!

Thank you all for the help!

@eugen-b I have the USB stick w/ which I installed Manjaro, it has a few months I think. I tried booting in it but when I open kdepartitionmanager it asks me for a password, I tried admin but it did not work. Does anyone know what that password is?

Thanks!

manjaro

1 Like

@Falav Thanks!

@alexal9 What is the recommended size for the EFI partition? Is it possible to further expand the system partition after applying the advice from @eugen-b using GParted (besides the resizing of the EFI partition)? Thanks!

1 Like

Well, I’ve seen people showing the output of lsblk with /efi from 100 to 500 Megs… It may depend of what you’re gonna install on your PC and how many distros you plan to have on it. Mine is 300 Mb and I have 3 distributions installed side by side and the partition is not even 40% full. You may even keep your 4+Gig partition alright. There’s nobody here to give you orders and I simply asked out of curiosity.

As to

Yes, of course! In his Fourth idea he mentioned practically the same thing as I gave in my suggestion. I simply shown you a graphical way to do it, 'cos I do not know if you like to do it in the terminal, or maybe prefer the GUI. If you’re fond of typing commands then you may use the parted app as well. It is similar to gparted but without the graphical interface.
Anyway, keep on resizing and good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.