How to enter Unicode symbols?

OK, I renamed this file by adding .bak suffix, cleared ~/.cache directory, logged out and then logged in, and… nothing… I can’t enter Unicode in KDE apps.

One last thing you can try is install ibus-qt. You will need to add the following lines to /etc/environment:point_down:

GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus

… and you’ll then also need to log out and back in before it’ll work. More details here.

This below is a post at the Endeavour OS forum about ibus-qt. See if this helps you. :point_down:

I’ve also for several years have had problems with entering Unicode characters in KDE, since I rarely need to, I just use KCharSelect. Setting up the compose key as suggested above seems to work too.

I use a typical 105 key US keyboard (Lenovo brand), and my locale is en_CA (maybe that’s my problem, I don’t know)

Honestly, I just assume it’s some weird KDE quirk, and don’t bother wasting time on getting it to work.

2 Likes

Actually I just dug out my laptop with KDE and I have the same issue, admittedly I don’t use the feature much.

2 Likes
  1. sudo pacman -S ibus manjaro-asian-input-support-ibus
  2. logout and relogin

manjaro-asian-input-support-ibus simply installs the correct env vars and autostart file via these two files:

/etc/profile.d/input-support.sh

# https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus
im=ibus
export GTK_IM_MODULE=$im
export QT_IM_MODULE=$im
export XMODIFIERS=@im=$im
export INPUT_METHOD=$im
export SDL_IM_MODULE=$im

/etc/xdg/autostart/ibus.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=IBus
Type=Application
Exec=ibus-daemon -drx
Terminal=false

Arch Wiki recommends adding --panel=/usr/lib/kimpanel-ibus-panel to make it work also with Input Method Panel widget, I tried it and didn’t seem to work.

I tested it and unicode typing worked perfectly inside Qt apps.

5 Likes

Yes, same thing here. I was under the impression that it did work here at my end because it works in chromium, which is the browser I’m using right now. But indeed, it doesn’t work in konsole or kwrite.

Setting up the compose key is simple, however. I did that via the advanced settings tab for the keyboard.

Yep, that works.

1 Like

Ha-ha-ha :smile:
Oops, looks like some super experts here don’t know something.

I think I will give Manjaro Cinnamon a try.

I never said I knew everything. We are all only volunteers here. And we’re very patient ones too apparently, given that this thread has by now made it to 70 (!) posts.

The solution was provided in post #65 by @medmedin. It is up to you to take his advice and put it into practice, but if you’re not interested, then that’s on you.

Great! We’re already anxiously anticipating the problems you’ll be having with that one. :roll_eyes:

In konsole:

echo -e '\u2042' '\u2641'

… seems to work as expected. Copy the result to a UTF-8 text document, for example. Why? Why not, eh?!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.