How to enable Secure Boot?

I am new to using the Linux OS, and I just installed Manjaro. Is it still the case that there is no way to enable Secure Boot while using Manjaro? I installed Manjaro on a Toshiba Satellite P55W laptop running Windows 10. After installing Manjaro, I am getting this error message after enabling Secure Boot: “boot failure: a proper digital signature was not found. One of the files on the selected boot device was rejected by the Secure Boot feature”.

Google Gemini suggested this path:
Enabling Secure Boot with Manjaro (More complex):

This method involves enrolling a key for Manjaro’s bootloader (shim) into your UEFI secure boot database. It’s a more complex process, but allows you to keep Secure Boot enabled for better security. However, it’s important to note that this is not officially supported by Manjaro.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Well, yeah, you cant simply enable it and expect %Random Software% to be recognized as secure.
Unlike the hardware manufacturer and m$oft, there is no existing framework or agreement for there to be acceptable keys for %Random Software%. At least not ‘preloaded’.

This is pretty much accurate.

Never was.

Its still in the same state it was always in - you can, but you have to do it yourself.

Almost the same as here, with the exception of some differences like our kernels:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface/Secure_Boot#Implementing_Secure_Boot

@linux-aarhus has done so I believe

But - don’t be misled by the description Secure Boot - it is only secure in the sense that the firmware contains a signature which signals to the firmware - you my give over control to the loader signed with this signature.

It is possible - on some systems - to sign and enroll other efi loaders into the secure boot database.

See Unified Extensible Firmware Interface/Secure Boot - ArchWiki

An example of installing a Manjaro only encrypted system using Secure Boot

If you have the necessary knowledge, it can be modified for dual boot with e.g. Windows.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter much, just keep it disabled. There’s no Canonical or Red Hat for Manjaro anyway, who needs it for their enterprise customers. Maybe someday when Manjaro has a proper company backing…