How to edit and remove Grub?

OK I have a problem. I have both Windows and Linux installed on two SSDs with each Bootloader on the OS SSD. By default the Windows SSD boots. I boot into Linux using the Boot Menu by pressing an Fn.

Now for some unknown reason the GRUB Menu boots and select with SSD to boot from. I find this to be really annoying.

I want to this back the way I had it. The Drives Boot order set by the BIOS/UEFI. It goes SATA 0 and SATA 1. The first is my DVD Burner. The other is the Win10 SSD. That is what I want.

The best to have two OSes installed on each drive w/ bootloader on their Mass Storage Drive. Windows boot if tuned on. Linux again only if I press the Boot Menu Key.

I did try looking at the WIKI but I got was how to install GRUB and Configure it afterwards.

Where is the Config file located at so I can do it by hand?

Thank you.

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

1 Like

less /boot/grub/grub.cfg

the file content starts with:

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

so, although
/boot/grub/grub.cfg
is the config file
this is not what is edited
to configure grub

So how do I edit GRUB then?

See above

• /etc/default/grub
  • grub-mkconfig

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Configuration

If understand you correct - you want to use the firmware boot override to select which disk to load the operating system from - correct ?

The reason your system boots to grub is because of an entry in the /boot/efi/EFI.

Grub is usually set as the default bootloader by overwriting the windows bootloader with the grub efistub.

If you are satisfied with the firmware boot override using a Fn then you can remove the boot entries - the safe way is to use efibootmgr

List your entries

$ efibootmgr

Then remove the manjaro entry by using the four hex digits representing the entry e.g. FFFF

$ sudo efibootmgr -bFFFF -B

Repeat if you have e.g. Linux Boot Manager

2 Likes

No don’t have that loaded. I hold down a key on my keyboard to select which drive to boot from. I do the same with Flashkeys.

That is what I say - e.g. on my Lenovo system it is F12 to select bootoveride

it’s different with each system.

One Question: How did the way I had things set up where each OS Bootloader was only install on the Drive it’s OS is on, changed?

GRUB didn’t have an Entry for Windows 10 at all. When I rebooted or turn the System on, Windows 10 loads by default.

There is grub-customiser ( seem like it was removed from manjaro repository so you will had do download and install it localy from arch-repository) package wich allow easy edit of you grub cfg, howewer if you gonna remove grub MAKE SURE YOU WILL CREATE NEW MBR BEFORE REBOOTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAD TO USE LIVEUSB TO RECREATE MBR AND MAKE ANYTHING BOOTABLE

I found the actual problem. GRUB is also on same SSD Windows is on. I had GRUB only on Linux. By default Windows boots second. The DVD burner boots first. To the third SSD Linux is on I used the BIOS Boot Key to select which drive to boot.

I forgot to mention this:

I finally figure out that GRUB is on the Windows SSD. DUH!!!

Now I need to remember the Win10 password.

What kind of password are you talking about? BitLocker key?

No the Login password. For strange reasons I might have temporary forgotten it. But I will remember it sometime later…

Racing Thoughts can and will cause this. That’s something everyone gets, but some get it more often.

Yesterday I getting more Aggravated by nearly everything. I have no clue what start it to begin with.