How to dual boot when Windows 10 BitLocker locks my whole drive?

Hi, yesterday I bought myself a new laptop, HP ENVY 13 x360. Its specs (roughly):
Its HP product code: 13-ay0001nw (21B20EA)

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c06703649

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 4700U
RAM: 16 GB (SO-DIMM DDR4, 3200MHz) 
Drive: SSD M.2 PCIe 512 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon™ Graphics

It came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. And just to be clear I NEED BOTH WINDOWS AND LINUX for my work.
After installing a few things on Windows I tried booting from a pendrive with Manjaro 20.1 GNOME. It did not let me saying that it is not authenticated. After a quick search in BIOS I disabled Secure Boot. Then when I tried booting again I got a screen about BitLocker saying that I need a password to recover my drive. i have no idea how to go about it and I really want to be sure what to do and not f it up. I would also like not to delete my current Windows installation as it already has drivers and other valuable programs installed.

How can I dual boot this laptop?

Have you tried reenabling Secure boot, just to be able to boot into Windoze again, at least?

1 Like

Yes, with Secure Boot I can normally boot into Windows

Then better forget installing Manjaro on this Laptop, will be a nightmare. You could use Ubuntu as this allows installations with Secure boot enabled, Manjaro won’t.

bitlocker is here the trouble if you need add linux on any storage ( pci , s-ata , usb )

I have seen people in a couple of videos on youtube create partitions using windows and then installing Linux on them. That won’t work?

Not in your case, using a Windoze with Secure boot and Bitlocker. Except, you accept to completely re-install Windoze.

1 Like

I think I will try to find help on the HPs forum, where some employees should at least try to help me. If that won’t work. I guess I would rather have Ubuntu and modify it rather than have to f with windows. How could I install Ubuntu?

Better ask in an Ubunti forum for details. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Okay, thank you very much for help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.