How to create a system backup?

I see, timeshift-launcher as the script. But I do not use Timeshift.

# script is running in non-interactive mode
		if [ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" = "wayland" ] ; then
			xhost +SI:localuser:root
			pkexec ${app_command}
			xhost -SI:localuser:root
			xhost
		elif command -v pkexec >/dev/null 2>&1; then
			pkexec ${app_command}
		elif command -v sudo >/dev/null 2>&1; then
			x-terminal-emulator -e "sudo ${app_command}"
		elif command -v su >/dev/null 2>&1; then
			x-terminal-emulator -e "su - -c '${app_command}'"
		else
			x-terminal-emulator -e "echo 'Command must be run as root user: ${app_command}'"
		fi

Thank you all for your help, I like Linux but I don’t like using the terminal for things where it’s not needed.

That’s why I’m happy that the shortcut now work for me.

@Zesko Yeah, but you were also correct just before. The env DISPLAY:= is not required for timeshift-launcher but for timeshift-gtk. For some reason it does not get the display to populate the window.

1 Like

@Zesko Can I ask to use something else for backups? :yum:

My backup strategy:

• I am using restic + systemd timer for automatic creation of system backup into ZFS mirror every 1 week, but it has no GUI, only CLI (command line interface) and writing my script.

• I am using btrbk + systemd timer for extrem fast automatic Btrfs backup like btrfs send | btrfs receive every day. But it has no GUI.

Of course, my backup strategy isn’t for everyone.

See many different backup program : (each has different advantages and disadvantages.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Synchronization_and_backup_programs

1 Like

I’m really happy with BackinTime, a gtk-Application that is usable out of the box if you start backintime (root) in your KDE-Menue. It then asks you for root password. You want to backup / if its not allready given in GUI.

I configured it to run every night.

It backups the whole system but only files thet have been changed compared with last backup … about 300 MB every night in my case.

You easy can restore the whole system or single files/folders.

Saved my life several times :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.