How to check disk (CHKDSK) NTFS3 under Linux

Hello,

Today I just faced a new issue that I’d like to ask colleagues help.

I’m currently using the new NTFS driver from Paragon, and it looks very nice, but my PC still has GPU persistent issue with random system freezes/crashes that requires to push reset button.

Unfortunately today this reset caused small damage to the NTFS driver resulting unable to boot on Linux, see the image below. I tried CTRL+D to continue but it keeps the same message in the loop, maybe I did it wrong.

The question is, is there a way to fix this issue only using Linux? I ask because to fix it i did boot on windows to run the CHKDSK routine to fix the HD and so I was able to boot from Linux again. Besides we know NTFS is native from windows it would be nice to not require windows in dual boot to use NTFS safely.

Only program would be ntfsfix, but:

ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows.

You may run ntfsfix on an NTFS volume if you think it was damaged by Windows or some other way and it cannot be mounted.

CHKDSK on windows is preferable.

Use “Disks” , find your drive and repair filesystem option. Worked for me. Also try adding nofail to your fstab entry so the boot is not halted next time.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, will look for how to add nofail do stab, but looks like for the one that still needs or chose to keep NTFS, it’s safe to keep system with dual boot.

My next question is, considering the option to move fully to file system native from Linux like EXT4 and BTRFS, in case of issue due to resent or improper shut down, will Linux during the boot, automatically scan the drivers to fix the issue or we are going to be hold in the command line prompt screen?

By default, it will only check the filesystem and stop if an error occur, which cannot repaired easily.

If you want that it checks the drives and repair automatically:

1. Add the option errors=remount-ro to / mount at /etc/fstab
  2. The last number of each line is for fsck. 1 is used for the root partition, 2 for any other partition, which can be checked.
  3. Add fsck.mode=force and fsck.repair=yes to the kernel parameter at /etc/default/grub

Now it checks the filesystem on every boot and tries to repair it. But, it takes time… It is like running CHKDSK on windows running on boot.

Have look at this for more information: systemd-fsck@.service

Thank you megavolt.

Looks like the NTFS3 has some bugs, today i got issue again, while coping files with dolphin they simple disappeared making dolphin to crash and getting stuck during boot load requiring to load windows to fix. So I backed to the old NTFS-3g driver.

Is it possible to check a version of any driver inside kernel? if yes, what is the command line to check NTFS3 driver version in order to track the new releases?

modinfo module_name

thank you again