How to change mldonkey installation location?

I’ve tried changing the download location for mldonkey since the default location is in an SSD and I want to use an HDD so that it doesn’t break the SSD by writing on it many times. I’ve followed this instructions but after changing the folder from Options -> Shares -> Add Share the website shows a connection error and doesn’t show the content anymore.

Maybe if I install it directly into the HDD drive the default download location will be there too. How can I change the PKGBUILD installation location so that the default download location ends up below this folder /mnt/X/dl/?

This were the steps I took, I always get the same error:

❯ yay -S mldonkey
❯ telnet 127.0.0.1 4000
refused
❯ sudo systemctl enable --now mldonkey.service
❯ telnet 127.0.0.1 4000
❯ mkdir -p /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey
❯ cd /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey
❯ mkdir -p incoming/files
❯ mkdir incoming/directories
❯ mkdir shared
❯ mkdir tmp
❯ sudo chown -R user:mldonkey /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey
❯ chmod -R 777 /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey

http://localhost:4080
Options → Shares → Add Share:
0 /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey/shared all_files
0 /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey/incoming/files incoming_files
0 /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey/incoming/directories incoming_directories
Then the server stops working with an unable to connect error.

Changing installation location is already not recommended, so changing it hoping to fix a software issue is even less.
Since changing the download location seems to be a feature of that software, i’d rather recommend to forward your issue to them.

3 Likes

Thinking in terms of “drives” and manual relocation of applications is Windows think. You are going to be living in a world of pain if you keep on thinking along the lines of the Microsoft Windows paradigm.

UNIX systems don’t work like that. UNIX — which includes GNU/Linux and even macOS — is a fully integrated operating system architecture in which applications are not regarded as separate entities but as extensions of the operating system itself. Therefore, the location of system-wide applications will always be somewhere under the /usr or /opt directory hierarchies. You can find more information about this at the website for the UNIX Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.

User-installed — i.e. non-system-wide — applications can of course always be installed in your home directory, but then only your user account will have access to them.

Maybe instead of changing the download location I can just delete the default download location and link the folder I’ve created there instead.

I don’t know what is up with the telnet commands (in your initial post),
but in this command:

sudo chown -R user:mldonkey /mnt/X/dl/mldonkey

you need to change “user” for your actual username

The username “user” is an example.

Also, :point_up: this, is really bad practice, and makes this :point_down: sort of pointless.

I really, really think you should and advise you to read through, and make sure you understand:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/File_permissions_and_attributes

My user is user. One of this days I’ll have to make it my signature so people stop mentioning it.

I don’t know what I was thinking but the solution was clearly to create a symlink for the download folder instead of trying to change the installation location.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.