How to change display refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz?

Based on this https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/227876/how-to-set-custom-resolution-using-xrandr-when-the-resolution-is-not-available-i
it should work even with that script, just replace the VGA1 with eDP-1 and the values after --newmode to match yours. Not sure what could be the issue.

if that is the one instead of eDP-1, then that needs to be used.

That was a typo on my part, while writing the post. In actuality I used the correct designation.

Have you tried with
xrandr --addmode eDP-1 1920x1080_60.00
and then
xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 1920x1080_60.00

Maybe the " " are not required ?

I’ll try when I get home from work.

Same cannot fine mode error.

Might be worth mentioning, that setting 60Hz works if I don’t have NVIDIA drivers installed. Using nouveau wll allow me to choose any framerate I wish. So I think it’s something to do with the NVIDIA drivers.

Now, how and if this helps me I cannot say.

Nouveau drivers will not offer power management AFAIK, so the dGPU will run all the time together with the iGPU. Some software will fail to run properly tho.

I would go trough this NVIDIA Optimus - ArchWiki and try different ways to use the hybrid GPU’s combinations, aka switchable graphics, and also try the EDID thing after all.

Thanks brother, really. This is about when this whole thing is more trouble than it’s worth. I do love me some tinkering, at the end of the day I’m a bit of a nerd… aren’t we all, here? Thanks a lot for being so helpful, but I’ve just about given up…

[firstworld]I guess I’ll just have to live with 144Hz[/problem]

1 Like

What is strange is that i found quite a few topics outside the forum, and people complained about being stuck at 60Hz, and i can’t figure out how to reverse the fix they applied to get their system run at 144hz, so we can make yours run at 60Hz.

One idea i had in mind is to see in Live media KDE Plasma, and run with proprietary drivers, if you can switch the refresh rate.
In the past people could use in /etc/environment the following line to set the refresh rate

CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=60

Or whatever value you wanted to run with and was suitable for the display, but Clutter was removed from Gnome AFAIK. What i also find interesting is that gnome-settings is not letting you change things in some instances, and is not keeping some settings when you can change those.

Mutter had some issues back some time ago when got stuck at one refresh rate. Here is an example Mutter seems lock to lowest refresh rate monitor when running GNOME on Xorg (NVIDIA) (#1470) · Issues · GNOME / mutter · GitLab so people tried hard to get the 144 working

And then, there is this https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/444055/how-to-force-60-hz-in-1366x768-despite-kernel-bug-after-kernel-4-13 but i guess you will have to alter some configs.

I loaded up a live KDE ISO of Manjaro running proprietary drivers and it would appear that I am able to set the display to run at 60Hz.

Now the thing with KDE is that I really dislike the way it looks… and especially how non-kde apps look. Maybe I should look more into theming.

Decisions, decisions…

The thing with KDE Plasma is that you can actually make it look and “act” like would be Gnome. It takes a bit of touching, but once is done, the workflow can be more versatile. Offers what Gnome and XFCE offers, plus some on top. My KDE Plasma installs looks nothing like any of default KDE, nor Gnome, nor XFCE. I set things now very simple, i use Breeze as theme with Papirus icons and Blender like color-scheme. Resembles Gnome default colors, GTK+ applications all feel native.

I’m multibooting on this rig, and some things about Gnome i just love, but then, some stuff seems to line up better for me on KDE Plasma when comes to workflow. I keep switching and testing things. Mutter did some funky stuff at some point (as i’m on unstable branch) but then got fixed. In your case, did you try to switch to unstable, do a full update and use a different kernel too?

̶N̶o̶.̶ ̶A̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶(̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶)̶ ̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶s̶h̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶A̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶K̶D̶E̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶w̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶s̶m̶a̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶.̶ ̶I̶’̶v̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶u̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶
̶
̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶.̶

As a matter of fact, although the Plasma GUI reports a 60Hz refresh rate, that is merely visual and in actuality the framerate remains 144Hz.