How to auto update all packages on a scheduled frequency without user intervention?

I’m using Manjaro as my media server and it runs headless. Is there a way to auto update all packages on a weekly/monthly basis without user intervention?

I’m looking for something similar to debian’s unattended upgrades, but I’ve searched quite a bit on google, the forums, manjaro wiki, reddit and it doesn’t seem to be a common ask.

Is this even possible?

Hi @zangman, and welcome!

You can, yes. You can set up a cronjob to run, say, monthly with the following command:

pamac upgrade -a --force-refresh

However, and this is a big however, it WILL cause breakage and I do NOT recommend it.

This is what the end result will be for you, regularly:

You have been warned.

1 Like

Thanks! Couple of questions though:

• I assume you mean pamac upgrade as root correct?
  • Could you please elaborate on why this would break the system? Is this because because Manjaro is based on Arch (i.e. being on the bleeding edge of packages), there is a higher chance of breakage on upgrades?
  1. I suspect so, yes.
  2. Not only that, but because this will overwrite any and all affected configs without prompting and make changes you might not have been aware of. I might not be a problem the first time, or thee second time, or even the fifth. But sooner or later it will happen.

Ah - that is cause for concern. Is there a general recommendation what to do in such situations? Do I have to login at least once a month/quarter and update manually?

That would be my recommendation, yes.

1 Like

Thanks for the super fast help! I’d rather have a working system than risk a system that breaks without warning. I guess I’ll just stick to manual updates once a month or so for now and see how I get on.

Appreciate the help. I’ll keep the thread open for a day in case anyone else has any alternative suggestions. If not, will mark it as solved tomorrow :slight_smile: .

you can use yay -Syyu and write a .desktop file

crontab may help you

Regardless of how it’s done, the end result and effect would the same:

1 Like

No matter how tempting the idea is - as already said - you will most likely run into problems - not today and not tomorrow - but inevitably you will.

The topic has been discussed before - and unattended syncing a system with the latest package set will go

:bomb:

and when you seek assistance you will be the

:clown_face:

2 Likes

If this topic is solved, please mark the relevant post as a solution rather than adding ‘Resolved’ to the topic title.

You can do so by clicking on the “hamburger” icon at the bottom of the post (except for the OP.). The solution option should be hidden there.

Thanks!

Done, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.