How safe is AUR and pacman in general?

I assume that because of my lack of understanding, you will now also provide an explanation that everyone can read here and also understands and leaves no more questions unanswered. Please don’t leave us hanging now. Come on, dare.

1 Like

Neither do I. The question was, whether the AUR package management is safe and I wrote, that you can also find a lot of garbage there. We basically agree.

1 Like

To say the least, all that what the other guys wrote is perfectly certain from a technical point of view, but now there are those practicalities that most of us do need. There are the ones, me included, whom just want to be the “eternal newbies”… Maybe I’ve grown a little bit more? Who knows, but I like to share what I’m learning in such a popular wording. I’m a Philosopher myself as main University/College formation, then an Archivist and Financial Market Risk Analyst from where I retired recently… And one of the things I’ve learnt within my life time is that you’ll to be happier the way you share a little bit more than was here from your experience… So, that is an always ongoing process… I won’t be always here… But now that I have some time count with me to help a little bit when possible!..

Have a nice day!..

That’s the price of having a rolling distro with fresh package versions all the time.

You have to put some effort in.

Otherwise use a fixed release and upgrade every few years (or months, if you use fedora). Nothing wrong with that, as it’s whatever fits the user best.

Or use Solus as a more " brainless" rolling distro, but note its repos and packages are more limited than in the arch/AUR ecosystem. Search for the Manjaro versus solus thread.

There’s always some cost to the choice you make.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: If I install a package from the AUR manually, will it be updated with an AUR helper?

Off topic posts were moved/ deleted.