How may i install stuff into the live environment?

i’m running manjaro-kde-21.1.6-minimal-211017-linux54.iso live, and i want to install vim into the live environment. While running an ubuntu live iso i can just call apt-get and it’s done. When i try # pacman -S vim i get

warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'community' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
error: target not found: vim

Maybe it’s just a different name for the package? otoh Add/Remove Software seems similarly to not know where to find packages. it looks maybe like installing anything into the live environment isn’t anticipated? But i don’t see why not. i’m thinking there’s probably not much that’s needed to get pacman pointed to the repos, can anyone clue me? Thanks!

Hi, welcome :slight_smile:

Not reading the terminal output must be the latest trend I suppose because of that Linus-youtuber, or maybe it is the norm in Ubuntus so one can’t blame him? :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You have 4 lines saying the same:

database file does not exist -> use '-Sy' to download

So just do that :smiley: :point_right: $ sudo pacman -Sy vim

(press yes if it asks you about upgrading keys)

This is a slightly old .iso (a snapshot) that is going to be replaced very soon, that’s why its databases need a refresh :wink:

and here’s some extra info for pamac and pacman syntax: Pacman Overview - Manjaro

2 Likes

The databases doesn’t exist on the live iso. Running a command to download will fix it

pacman -Syy

And yes you can install a package in the live environment but it will be gone next time you boot thel live iso - and it will not be copied to an installed system.

2 Likes
1 Like

it installs, but doesn’t work. See Can pacman update just the pertinent packages?

Yesterday once booted into manjaro-kde-21.1.6-minimal-211017-linux54.iso live one of the first things i did is launch a Konsole. And again today. Yesterday i’d stretched it horizontally even wider than my first two screens. But, today it came up already wider than my first two screens! Whoa, Nellie! How did it remember that? Where did it store anything? Or perhaps it’s because my 3rd screen is wider, and maybe my 3rd screen was off yesterday, and today it’s width was considered as Konsole came up, even tho the Konsole window got placed on the 2nd screen?

One of the things i did yesterday was

mkdir /a2
mount /{dev/sd,}a2
mount -orw,remount /a2

so did /dev/loopN maybe write stuff right into the .iso? The .iso still passes sha256sum -c so it couldn’t have. TAIA

The live environment is ISO9660 filesystem and that is a readonly filesystem - really readonly as in CD readonly - no CDRW is possible (which also explains why you cannot use the excess space on the USB).

Unless something changed drastically the past few weeks I am fairly certain the live environment does not store anything.

The persistent image thing is a DIY system - the image stored inside is an 8G ext4 using EFI boot - and it hasn’t been updated since.

I guess it illustrates how to do it.

If you want to create a leave-no-trace system - you should consider using ventoy using the option to leave untouched space on the ISO.

You will then be able to create an extra partition - encrypted if you like - to store data from the live environment.

If you have special requirements for the live ISO - consider building one containing your preferred apps - it is straight forward - you can find the recipies in the wiki.

Search for buildiso

1 Like

Actually it does work. With caveats. See

You can install a package in the live environment - but you will not be able to persist the installed package nor any data.

I have removed the solution mark - as nothing of what you are doing is possible with respect to the ISO9660 filesystem - it is by definition readonly.

This is only effective if a device sda exist and has at least two partitions. What ever you write there will persist on the device - but I would be more careful if I were you.

Quite right, nothing gets installed into the iso. The big bennie of booting up a live environment is it’s a preserved snapshot that’ll come up the same every time. And you can, and it’s indeed quite useful, to install stuff in the live environment. And of course it only persists as long as it’s up. So…i re-marked the solution!

Handy to save stuff back where i can find it when i boot up regularwise again. Caveat’s to know what you’re doing are indeed appropriate.

You may have a look at:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.