How does removing qt5-tools affect KDE Connect?

Hi folks, I’m trying to get rid of unnecessary packages to clean up my environment a bit and since I don’t develop in qt and its building is very heavy even on my newest Ryzen CPU I’m removing qt5-tools. It gives me these warnings though:

Warning: kdeconnect optionally requires qt5-tools: for some runcommand plugin actions
Warning: phonon-qt5 optionally requires qt5-tools: Designer plugin
Warning: python-pyqt5 optionally requires qt5-tools: QtHelp, QtDesigner

I don’t know what phonon is and I don’t care about python-pyqt5, but I use KDE Connect a lot. Does anyone know what exact functionalities will I miss if I remove qt5-tools, or is it a false warning?

I don’t see how removing a package that you don’t use ─ and that is not in anybody’s way ─ would improve the performance on your “newest Ryzen CPU”. I have that package installed here as well, and my CPU is a lot more humble than yours. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s a multimedia framework for KDE applications.

They are optional dependencies. qt5-tools contains functionality for interacting with kdeconnect ─ perhaps via the command line. But you can safely remove that package if you wish ─ it’s not going to harm your kdeconnect functionality.

2 Likes

Thanks for the informative reply! I’ll remove it then in faith that KDE Connect will work the same way :blush:!

I don’t see how removing a package that you don’t use ─ and that is not in anybody’s way ─ would improve the performance on your “newest Ryzen CPU”. I have that package installed here as well, and my CPU is a lot more humble than yours.

I didn’t mean it in such a way that removing a package will improve the performance of my PC, I know it won’t. But every time I start installing a Manjaro update and hear my otherwise pretty silent and well-cooled PC in high fan revs for several minutes straight, I know it’s because qt is currently being built, as the pamac console gets spammed with qt-related build messages like crazy, unlike the much more concise info messages for any other package that I have.

It might have already been solved as I didn’t notice it for several updates now, nonetheless making my system lighter even by a few megabytes goes a long way due to my slow internet and the extra disk space is always nice as well :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.