How does one configure Manjaro in such a way that EACH & EVERY piece of software offered for upgrade is a stable version (not bleeding edge)?

No.

I do want rolling releases. But stable releases amongst them (including applications I choose to install). eg upgrade to only stable Libreoffice, etc

What do stable release mean?

Stable as in Download Manjaro - Manjaro

Stable as categorized by respective developer community.

You don’t make a lot of sense.
Seems like you want latest apps but you want them to be stable. Tell that to each and every developer. To please not include any bugs.

As for the system itself, if you put enough time in actually learning things, then anything can be “stable”. And vice versa, if you don’t know how to take care of your system then anything can and will break, eventually.

2 Likes

Stable means:

• it is run-able and works as intended on the testing machine.
  • It doesn’t mean it was tested on a lot of configurations and is production ready for enterprise.

So keep in mind: Even if it is stable, there could bugs involved depending on what custom configuration you have.

1 Like

YES. I can not go around telling that to developers of each app I choose. Hence, exploring if it is possible to upgrade to ONLY such released which are stable, as defined by respective developer community.

And I want a world without hunger and war.

Well the only way I see beside the stable Manjaro branch is using flatpak or snap, which includes an extra load of libs. Look: Developers use always fixed releases for testing, not bleeding edge. I guess you have the idea that archlinux or manjaro don’t use stable releases from the developers, but that is not the case.

The main difference between a fixed release and a rolling release is this:

• RR → It updates to the next stable release as intended by the developer.
  • FR → It freezes a version and only apply patches to fix bugs and security issues.
1 Like

You can only update to the latest version of a package available in the repositories, whatever that version is.
A few number of applications do provide a stable branch, which translates into a different package – for instance libreoffice-still vs libreoffice-fresh – allowing you to use the package from the associated branch. Updates work exactly the same: you’ll get the latest version of that package as available in the repositories, the only difference being that one comes from a stable development branch.

1 Like

…debian stable.
WTH we are talking abuot.

Hi @abad.140101
I understand what you are looking for.
You simply need a rolling release, a system that just works.
This is simply what Manjaro does BY DEFAULT. Just stick with the defaults, better avoid third party repos.

Updtae:
Check Manjaro:A Different Kind of Beast - Manjaro
Simply, Manjaro updates are released some time after it has been release on Arch repos, which give enough time to fix “critical” “serious” bugs and it gets even more stable.
So, Manjaro is not that bleeding edge.

Not as bleeding edge as Arch

A consequence of accommodating this testing process is that Manjaro will never be quite as bleeding-edge as Arch. Software may be released to the stable repositories days, weeks, or potentially even months later;

1 Like

If you stay on Stable branch, do the regular updates, perform the required maintenance and never touch it, you’ll have a perfectly stable system.

What you’re describing is a Fixed-point release system, like Ubuntu.

Thanks. This post by @limotux , together with How does one configure Manjaro in such a way that EACH & EVERY piece of software offered for upgrade is a stable version (not bleeding edge)? - #12 by maycne.sonahoz by @maycne.sonahoz takes care of my anxiety.

Thank you all, again.

I am interested in knowing how to perform “required maintenance”. If someone can elaborate, without me having to initiate a new topic. Thanks.

This should cover it:

2 Likes

Good to know that, I would remain with libreoffice-still that I had chosen. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. I would study this. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My Manjaro install is 7 years old and works fine. Would you call it stable? However, if not my maintenance and fixing things from time to time, it wouldn’t survive that long. So it’s the user that makes the installation stable, not the other way around, at least on rolling systems.
@Mirdarthos gave you good tips.

4 Likes

Take regular backups with timeshift/backup tool of choice, theres hooks to backup automatically anytime you run a system update. Read the announcement thread before you run any system updates making note of any potential user involvement needed and your system will be stable and cause you no problems

4 Likes

Mainly you decide at the time you install your software.

Avoid GIT where you can, IF you can.
When installing something, avoid the ‘Fresh’ version and opt for ‘Stable’. Then it will only update when the Stable version is updated.

For software that you need to build (if you install things from AUR) then they might fail after an update until you rebuild them. It’s not a big issue, but it might take a few minutes if something (guayadeque music player, for example) won’t work after an update.

Generally, though, I have to say that Manjaro stability has been fine for quite some time - and with KDE, make sure you keep your regular daily snapshots running because you can customise it to fit your needs a great deal… but it can break. Then your stability is the few minutes it takes to restore your snapshot.

2 Likes