How do you enable symbol graphics in Konsole?

After an update some days ago, the Konsole terminal on my mother’s computer started using some neat looking graphics like this:

I kinda like that and want it on my system, but despite using the same packages it doesn’t work for me. I tried her bashrc file but no result, neither could I find anything in the Konsole settings. How do I get the user prefix with the Manjaro / home icon and orange hourglass symbol for timers and the rest?

That’s not bash but zsh ─ it’s an entirely different type of shell. You should normally be able to switch over to zsh by switching the Konsole profile.

Click on Profiles in Configure Konsole, then Edit… your current profile and in the Command box change /bin/bash to /bin/zsh

2 Likes

Edit .zshrc

# Use powerline
#USE_POWERLINE="true"
USE_POWERLINE="false"

here is the default zsh config which comes with manjaro kde

# Use powerline
USE_POWERLINE="true"
# Source manjaro-zsh-configuration
if [[ -e /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-config ]]; then
  source /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-config
fi
# Use manjaro zsh prompt
if [[ -e /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-prompt ]]; then
  source /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-prompt
fi

you can also use a nerd font from aur if having problems with the icons(not the graphics) in the terminal

yay -S nerd-fonts-hack

Well first make sure your system is up to date

sudo pacman -Syyu

Normally the default breath profile should set zsh as the default shell and then there should be a new default zsh settings file .zshrc which activates the powerlevel10k.
You should check in your home directory that .zshrc does contain the correct profile as ishaanbhimwal already posted (check that hidden files are shown in your file manager). You can find the default file in /etc/skel/.zshrc. I think it was missing at first for me or it was an old one which did not have the correct settings.

Then you need to install hack nerd font. Unfortunately i could not find it as sudo pacman -S nerd-fonts-hack … it does not find it in Manjaro repositories (or my mirrors are faulty?)! I had to get it from AUR. But without that you will be missing some of the symbols like the house symbol for your home directory.

And then you have to set up your own profile in Konsole. I created simply a new one under Konsole → Settings → Manage profiles → New … there is set the shell to /bin/zsh and changed the font under appearance to Hack Nerd Font. And set this new profile as standard. Because the default profile Breath just sets Hack Font, is readonly and then you are missing some symbols.

OP could just switch to Breath profile that comes with zsh by default.

2 Likes

That was easy, thanks. Mom’s computer likely uses the Breeze profile so that explains why it switched on its own, wouldn’t have known about this alternative otherwise. Seems to look and work great by default, will likely stick to this method! No need to change USE_POWERLINE it seems.

going by your neofetch output you are already using zsh as your default shell so no need to change that. to change the prompt theme you should append these in .zshrc → autoload -Uz promptinit promptinit and run prompt -s adam1

reference → Zsh - ArchWiki

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.