How do I update bios of dell inspiron 5559 model?

I want to update my bios, and I don’t know how to perform as I have never done that before.

My system: Dell Inspiron 5559 Model;

After searching for a while I found fwupd. But my device is not enlisted in the link

I went to the dell website and found a process for Ubuntu but not anything for Manjaro. So, tried the process described for Ubuntu (update bios using ubuntu): nothing happened. link

This is the inxi -M output of my device.

Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5559 v: N/A serial: <superuser required> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0T66WJ v: A00 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Dell v: 1.4.1 date: 12/08/20

Kindly help me in this regard. Please show me correct and step by step process to perform the task.

Could you elaborate on “nothing happened”?

1 Like

Sure, so when I start to update from the boot menu. a white dialogue box appear. There was a option like drop down menu but nothing appear and another one was fill in the blank of type something but no instructions. I can not proceed from this menu. Thats why I have to cancel out from the process.

If you have no Windoze installed then you could use

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

to generate en environment to install BIOS updates dedicated to be installed via Windoze. A BIOS update is not much linked to the OS.

1 Like

okay, got your point. But might be risky. I don’t want to break my current fine system.

Then why do you want to update?

The page you linked doesn’t show the process for your exact model, so it’s hard to give a better step-by-step instruction than Dell.

Which exact steps did you try and where did it fail?

Seems asking for help is like a crime!! Do I have to tell you why I want to update? huh! the last time in 2017 I have updated my bios under windows OS. Now I am in manjaro for more than six months. I am bit of cautious about the process wollie(moderator) is suggesting me. My current system is stable and I don’t want to break anything. You should read my post first.

That’s why I want to know the process. If you know suggest, if you want to learn like me then follow the thread.

In the 2nd comment, I have told it. flash bios update > then the pop up window.

You said “I don’t want to break my current fine system.” So why risk breaking your fine system with a BIOS update?

And as stated before. This has nothing to do with Manjaro

Yes I have understand from moderators comment. I want to update because after that there are two new updates of my bios from dell. I told in my post that I don’t know the process as I have never tried before. With my little experience I have realized that keeping your system updated is good for linux system. Hope you would understand what I am trying to say.

“I want to update because after that there are two new updates of my bios from dell.”
This does not make sense. You update to the latest bios version. You dont have to update bios 3 times

You got me wrong. My version is from 2017. Now after that, there are two newer versions. One in 2019 and another one from 2020. So, I wanted to update my bios to the latest one(2020). Hope you understand.

Successfully updated the system. Process below:

1. Format your USB to fat32

2. Download the firmware. 

3. Check the hash (must) 

4. Copy it to the USB

5. Reboot

6. press F12 and the boot menu press flash update bios. 

7. Here you have to chose the file in your USB. I wish I could take a pic at that time. In the upper right of the dialogue box click and just click the bios file and nothing else. 

8. Procced. Plug in ac power. Do not disconnect it. 

I have tried to describe it as easily as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.