How do I uninstall an installed package that is an optional dependency for another package?

I am trying to remove the libpamac-flatpak-plugin package, since I am not using Flatpak and since it depends on the gnome-desktop-4 package. (I am using Xfce.)

When I try to remove the libpamac-flatpak-plugin package, I get a warning which doesn’t allow me to remove that package, even if it’s optional for Pamac.

Is there any way to remove libpamac-flatpak-plugin or any installed package that is an optional dependency for another package?

If you do not use flatpak then run:
pamac remove flatpak libpamac-flatpak-plugin

The warning is just that, a warning to remind you about the optional dependency, but the removal/uninstall of it is 100% successful.

What warning?

I also use xfce…and I have it installed by default…I would leave it as it is…besides it is not dependent on gnome

disable support in “third party support” tab in pamac

I only enabled the support for AUR. Still, that plugin is installed and it depends on the gnome-desktop-4 package, although that isn’t a direct dependency, but a dependency of a dependency.

I got confused from the dialog box telling me about those optional dependencies. The button to the right was Close, which I thought was not only closing the dialog box, but also “closing” the operation I was doing. (I didn’t notice the package was shown as not anymore installed.)

I tried to uninstall a package I knew it was required, and noticed the dialog box that appears is completely different: Its title is Failed to prepare transaction and the reported error is could not satisfy dependencies.

Thank you for you help!

It was the dialog box informing me the package was an optional dependency for another package, with a Close button on the top right.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.