How do i switch from xfce to i3wm?

i love xfce but i3 seems to be even simpler and the autotiling is cool since i like to have gazillion windows on one screen and constantly keep looking for them.

i already installed i3. how exactly to i switch to it. i cant even get a login at startup. if i do can i select i3 at startup time?

thanks!

Well for one, I recommend to just do a clean install, and install Manjaro’s version of i3.

Did you look at the Arch Wiki for help during the installation of i3 by any chance?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/I3

Does this mean you can’t get to the display manager? As in when you start your computer, you automatically log into your system? You’d have to disable autologin for your display manager if that is the case.

You need to select it at the Display Manager.

2 Likes

thanks. i just installed i3 and not i3-wm so there is the problem. i need to set up a new system anyways to get my graphics card working so the i will install the manjaro i3 version. if it can be done with the install. simpler than fixing this. that can probably be done with manjaro architect?

You can use Xfce with I3-wm. I use it on my secondary pc, and I haven’t had any problems so far.

If you are interested, search on youtube “Installing i3wm on Xfce (Xubuntu 18.04)” from the channel “Kylinux Cast”