How do I recover linux from deleted and reformatted efi in dual boot with windows?

I had dual boot of working manjaro and windows. When I was reinstalling windows I accidentally reformatted the efi partition and windows created a new one while installing and now i am stuck on windows with no way to boot into linux in my other partition any way I can fix that?

I used to select manjaro in the grub menu during the boot before this happened.

Hi!
Boot up with a live driver, then chroot in your manjaro system and reinstall grub

3 Likes

boot on USB iso manjaro
open a terminal
and check EFI is ok

inxi -Fxza --no-host
sudo parted -l
sudo efibootmgr -v
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios

then for EFI

sudo manjaro-chroot -a ( type 1 if only one line-0 appears )
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck --verbose
update-grub
efibootmgr -v
exit ( end chroot )

then reboot

2 Likes

It is now well advised to use two separate Storage Drives if you are going to boot both Windows 10 and Linux.

Install Windows on the first Drive but have the second drive disconnected before you do this. After Windows is done installing and updated, reconnect the other Storage Device and install Manjaro. Put each OS’s BootLoader on it’s own drive. To select which OS when booting up, just press the key for the Motherboard’s boot menu.

The reason for doing things this way, is that Windows 10 will not leave other OSes partitions on the install drive alone when updating.

One other thing. Windows and Linux use two different methods for setting the System Clock. Each time you boot into the other OS, the Time will change. Yes you can make both OSes use the same method, but will have to look for the info on the Wiki or Forum.

I would have done that but i have an old laptop with a single drive bay.

That may be true for BIOS boot, but it is not for UEFI. And the statement about using two drives… again it probably made it easier in BIOS mode but that it’s not a problem with UEFI.
(To be correct, Windows will not tamper with other partitions in BIOS mode, it will just overwrite the MBR with some updates)

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.