How do I prevent NetworkManager from loading a plugin?

How do I prevent NetworkManager from loading a plugin?

From journalctl:

Loaded device plugin: NMTeamFactory (/usr/lib/NetworkManager/1.32.12-1/libnm-device-plugin-team.so)
Loaded device plugin: NMWifiFactory (/usr/lib/NetworkManager/1.32.12-1/libnm-device-plugin-wifi.so)
Loaded device plugin: NMBluezManager (/usr/lib/NetworkManager/1.32.12-1/libnm-device-plugin-bluetooth.so)
Loaded device plugin: NMAtmManager (/usr/lib/NetworkManager/1.32.12-1/libnm-device-plugin-adsl.so)
Loaded device plugin: NMWwanFactory (/usr/lib/NetworkManager/1.32.12-1/libnm-device-plugin-wwan.so)
Loaded device plugin: NMOvsFactory (/usr/lib/NetworkManager/1.32.12-1/libnm-device-plugin-ovs.so)

I tried the below lines in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf, restarted, rebooted, but it did not change anything.

[main]
plugins=keyfile
plugins-=NMOvsFactory

Hello @stargazer :wink:

Just remove it… ?

Also check this dir:

/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/

Does that mean rm it :question: I typically never remove system files that way, but rather use the available features (hopefully they exist :slight_smile: ), like blacklist, exclude, disable, or override in $HOME.

In the man page, it shows using the syntax plugins-=remove-me, but the plugin was still loaded.

That won’t be a permanent solution: updates of the networkmanager package would bring those back unless NoExtract is configured in /etc/pacman.conf as well.

According to man NetworkManager.conf the available plugins values are keyfile, ifcfg-rh, ifupdown, ibft, no-ibft, ifcfg-suse and ifnet. Also

Settings plugins for reading and writing connection profiles.

So this won’t help you if I’m not mistaken.

No, remove the corresponding packages; i.e., networkmanager-openvpn. NEVER use rm in the system unless you know exactly what you’re doing. it’s read-only for a reason.

It looks like you’ve seen man 5 NetworkManager.conf … but I think the point may be that you want to override using your own conf file
/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/plugins.conf

[main]
plugins-=NMOvsFactory

You can also declare each one you want, separated by commas like,so and noting that they load in that order, with keyfile always being appended if not loaded earlier.

1 Like

pacman -Fx /usr/lib/NetworkManager/1.32.12-1/libnm-device-plugin-ovs.so

The above shows the file is owned by the package networkmanager itself.

Actually, when I look at the plugins in the journal, I don’t need any of them.

I’m assuming what I see in the journal is the name that the NetworkManager is referring to NMTeamFactory, NMWifiFactory, NMBluezManager, etc.

I created a 50-plugins.conf in conf.d, with the contents shown below, but they were still loaded :frowning:
In the first message above I listed the messages in the journal that show “Loaded device plugin”. I expect to not see those message, thus plugins not loaded.

[main]
plugins-=NMOvsFactory,NMWwanFactory,NMAtmManager,NMBluezManager,NMWifiFactory,NMTeamFactory

I also have a 50-unmanaged-devices.conf with:

[main]
plugins=keyfile

[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=interface-name:wlp*

I did read the man page, NetworkManager.conf, and googled :slight_smile: Lots of hits on loading, but not much on the other way around.

just for double-triple-checking … pump that number to 99 (99-plugins.conf) … never seen a system file with a higher number :wink: