How do I have 20.1 installed when it's not released yet?

Manjaro is a Rolling Release Distro Bro :smiley:

2 Likes

I am totally new in Manjaro…bt 20.1 has not released yet r8?
So how can I use it before official stable release!!??

Switch to testing branch or use the RC - ISO’s

And the kernel is 5.4.60 lts(20.1)
Bt when I tried installing 20.0.3, it was using 5.6 kernel!!

I want to b in the stable branch bro

After updating from 19.0.2 it directly upgraded to 20.1(showing in Manjaro hello)…I’m in stable brach…I suppose 20.1 isn’t officially released yet! So why my manjaro version is 20.1???

you can always install another Kernel via GUI:

Or via CLI:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux58

Ref.: Manjaro Kernels

1 Like

The iso is not released yet. The versions roll and roll, the iso is out when ready.

1 Like

for switch to Stable

from Switching Branches - Manjaro Linux

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch stable
sudo pacman-mirrors --continent
sudo pacman -Syyuu
1 Like

In case this is not clear enough.

Rolling distributions such as Manjaro do not release versions.
Contrarily to fixed release distributions, which provide ISOs as they release a new version, rolling distributions are always up-to-date. A “version” in a rolling distribution is merely a capture of how it is at a given point in time; which is why it’s common for its users to enjoy that “version” before an ISO is released for it.

3 Likes

Got it…
So when the iso releases will it use ‘lts’ kernel out of the box?(my 20.1 is using lts)
And will there b any change/difference compared to my up-to-date Manjaro system?

I am just worried that if I have to reinstall the whole os again!!

Sorry for my very limited knowledge…
And thank you all…
:grinning:

I’m paraphrasing (badly). Install it once, roll it forever !

Unless you break something, no need to reinstall. Your system will always be up to date. The iso is merely a snapshot from a fixed point of time.

At the time the iso is released it will have the latest packages and kernels. Then new updates arrive, your system will be up to date, the iso outdated and will need to update in order to keep up. Until next iso.

1 Like

Undecided yet as there are some problems with kernel 5.8:

1 Like

If the iso comes with 5.8(suppose) will my system’s kernel(5.4.60 lts & never changed kernel myself…updated with ‘-Syyu’ only) automatically change to 5.8 after update…or I have to manually select?

Not a problem bt just asking…

No.

If you want a different series of kernels you have to manually install. The iso will release with whatever kernel the Devs decide is appropriate for it. Your own install of Manjaro will just continue to boot with whatever series of kernels you currently have. These are manual choices you have to make on your already-installed, forever rolling system.

1 Like

And also…I tried installing Manjaro 20, 20.0.2, 20.0.3, 20.1 rc4, 20.1 rc5 isos before… unsuccessful…the installer wasn’t starting…I could use the os in live usb(bt couldn’t use internet, even no ethernet icon)…bt couldn’t start the installer!
Only 19.0.2 installed successfully
Don’t know what’s the prob!

unless you this meta-package linux-latest ,
you can add many kernels with
mhwd-kernel
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Kernels

it’s recommended to have

• a good LTS version ( 4.19 or 5.4 lts )
  • version current 5.7.x ( that is EOL on next update )
  • new version stable 5.8.x ( better from 5.8.6 )

you can change on boot by press Esc or F8 ( or F12 )
and select in Details > version kernel

2 Likes

If the team don’t regularly update the iso releases the problem is when someone does a fresh install they will then have to install every single update that has been pushed since the iso was created. So if an iso is 6 months old that’s 6 months worth of updates to install to catch up to where you and me are. Not only does that use a lot of bandwidth it also means something is more likely to break the system

1 Like

you can see update on these category
https://forum.manjaro.org/c/announcements/11

see latest topic Testing and link iso updated

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.