How do I disable the conky info on i3 manjaro edition?

I switch from manjaro-gnome to manjaro i3. Everything is fine without an issue. now it is a matter of aesthetics. While the basic info on which basic buttons to use to get started with i3 is great, now I want them removed. I found the conky conf for the useful bit in usr/share/doc/conky-1.12.2_pre
But I could only find the conf for CPU and processes display but not the keybind info

edit the i3.conf and remove the line executing the conky

1 Like

I have tried that but, It removes the entire conky setup. I want to keep the setup where it shows date, Cpu usage and ram and all the good stuff. but I want to remove the part where it gives you hint about the keybindings.
for example press mod + 0 to for shutdown menu. All that is located on the most bottom left corner of my screen. An ideal solution would be for me to locate the conky conf file and edit there, but I cannot find the conky conf’s location.
Again I cannot thank you guys enough for being a part of my linux learning experience and helping me out. My current system setup was only possible thanks to you guys. Now, I am playing with DE’s find the most appropriate DE for me. I kid you not here I am getting more support than I would get at microsoft (and its a paid software). I really appreciate the community.

P.S. a side question: what do you guys use for PDF form filling on linux? yesterday I had to fill up a adobe pdf form and none of the software available on pamac or AUR could open that file. I even used foxit reader paid version(waste of money) it cannot also open that file. To solve the issue I had to install windows on virutal machine and use adobe acrobat. Its crazy adobe refuses to make a dc reader for linux when it has one for android. If you guys know any hacks that does not involve virtual microsoft windows to fill out a pdf form please let me know too.
And while installing windows I came to appreciate manjaro even more. The time it takes for windows to get installed and configure it self, using the same time you can install manjaro like 3 times in the same virtual setup provided that you use calamares or you have very fast internet.

This sounds like information that is in the conkyrc, can you post that one please?
If there are things you want in one de but not the other you might want to create individual conkyrc, and call them via startup script.

Procedure followed for changing i3 status bar.
in /etc and /home
command used:

find -iname *i3*

results:

./skel/.i3
./i3
./i3status.conf

command used:

cp /etc/i3status.conf  ~/.i3status.conf

finally: edited the i3status.conf file to get the desired status bar.
I want to replicate something similar with conky.
I went to /etc and /home did the same.

find -iname *conky*

but no conky files were found there .
then I did

which conky

results:

/usr/bin/conky

so, I went in /usr/share/doc/conky1.12.2_pre
this directory has the following files.

-rw-r--r--   1 root root 2335 Apr 24 07:35 conky.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1264 Apr 24 07:35 conky_no_x11.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 5701 Apr 24 07:35 convert.lua
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 3488 Jun 19 05:40 html

I will share the conky_no_x11.conf since I am running x11 i guess:

-- Conky, a system monitor https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky
--
-- This configuration file is Lua code. You can write code in here, and it will
-- execute when Conky loads. You can use it to generate your own advanced
-- configurations.
--
-- Try this (remove the `--`):
--
--   print("Loading Conky config")
--
-- For more on Lua, see:
-- https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html

conky.config = {
        background = false,
        cpu_avg_samples = 2,
        net_avg_samples = 2,
        no_buffers = true,
        out_to_stderr = false,
        update_interval = 1.0,
        uppercase = false,
        use_spacer = 'none',
};

conky.text = 
[[${scroll 16 $nodename - $sysname $kernel on $machine | }
Uptime: $uptime
Frequency (in MHz): $freq
Frequency (in GHz): $freq_g
RAM Usage: $mem/$memmax - $memperc% ${membar 4}
Swap Usage: $swap/$swapmax - $swapperc% ${swapbar 4}
CPU Usage: $cpu% ${cpubar 4}
Processes: $processes  Running: $running_processes
File systems:
 / ${fs_used /}/${fs_size /} ${fs_bar 6 /}
Networking:
Up: ${upspeed}  - Down: ${downspeed}
Name              PID   CPU%   MEM%
 ${top name 1} ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1} ${top mem 1}
 ${top name 2} ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2} ${top mem 2}
 ${top name 3} ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3} ${top mem 3}
 ${top name 4} ${top pid 4} ${top cpu 4} ${top mem 4}
]];

In this file i do not see any of the strings that appear on my screen so I do not know what to edit. I could not find the conkyrc that you are referring to @Alchemix. I googled its supposed to be in home directory.
I find it very difficult to configure it from scratch. I configured my i3 keymaps and status bar by copying files provided by Oberon (the guy who packaged the i3-manjaro) and editing it by adding new things or removing what I do not want. I would like to do the same for conky. I would just want to copy the file and remove what I do not want.
PS:- I am still learning the linux file hierarchy so i still dont know what should reside where.

Check if you have a folder

.config/conky/

The conkyrc usually is in there. But I‘m confused now are you trying to change what your conky displays or what your i3bar displays?

Sorry for not being able to keep it to the point.

1. I could change my i3 status bar to my liking to I wanted to replicate the same procedure with conky config
  2. I have no conky config in home. It probably some where else like the i3status one was located in /etc then I had to copy it to home and reboot i3wm.
[dirtyv@dirtyv-aspirevx5591g .config]$ ls -la
total 136
drwxr-xr-x 34 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jul 31 16:47  .
drwx------ 21 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jul 31 13:40  ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jul 31 00:17  autostart
drwx------  2 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jul 30 22:29  clipit
drwx------  2 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jul 31 13:47  dconf
drwxr-xr-x  2 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jul 31 13:50  DisplayCAL
drwxr-xr-x  2 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jun 19 05:41  dmenu-recent
drwxr-xr-x  2 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jun 19 05:41  dunst
drwxr-xr-x  2 dirtyv dirtyv 3488 Jun 19 05:41  epdfview

@Dirtyv I‘m sorry to sayit this bluntly, but you are aware that folders starting with a . Are hidden?

In your homefolder

cd .config/conky
ls

Yes. I think it should have been clear from what I shared and why I am using ls -la not just ls
the -a shows hidden files. I am not sure what point you are trying to reach. Can you explain more?

I was trying to find the conkyrc, something you wrote you couldn’t locate.
As i wrote in my starting post, this is where those parts you want to not show are likely reside.

Like I said I did not write the conkyrc file. On a DE less installation I recreated the iso of i3-manjaro as shown in CLI guide found in Manjaro forum. After doing that I had the same setup that you would have after installing the community version of i3 except i have 518 kernel. So, I did not actually the write conky conf, it came preconfigured.

It’s a bit complicated from what I could see:

the package
manjaro-i3-settings
installs - among other things -
/etc/skel/.i3/config

this executes start_conky_maja
which is a script, contained in another package:
conky-i3-20210907-1
that script is in /usr/share/conky

You would have to copy the .i3/config from /etc/skel to your $HOME yourself - since you had Gnome and then switched to i3
Don’t know whether you did.

To adapt what conky shows you could probably take the start_conky_maja script in /usr/share/conky as an example and put it in your $HOME/.config or $HOME/.local or wherever the custom config file is supposed to be.

I would not mess with files in /usr/share/conky directly as they will be overwritten on the next update.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.