How do I disable a driver for a specific device?

I have been trying to get Microsoft’s “Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10” to work on Manjaro.

To this end I have installed xow, which is a driver to enable the dongle’s functionality on Linux. However, upon running xow’s binary I am given an error message from xow – LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY.

In xow’s README, it suggests that this may be due to another process currently using the device. In this case, I think it is the WiFi driver that is preventing xow from accessing the device.

To support this, The JeroenHD blog (“Suddenly, WiFi”) documented that plugging in the Xbox Wireless Adapter allowed them to acess WiFi networks. I noticed this as well, when I plugged in the Xbox Wireless Adapter, I also had the option to connect to WiFi networks.

I checked with hwinfo and indeed, the Xbox Wireless Adapter was being used as a WiFi dongle.

Vendor: usb 0x045e "Microsoft Corp."
  Device: usb 0x02fe "XBOX ACC"
  Revision: "1.00"
  Serial ID: "290529"
  Driver: "mt76x2u"
  Driver Modules: "mt76x2u"
  Device File: wlan0
  Features: WLAN
  Speed: 480 Mbps

How can I prevent this from happening so xow can handle the Xbox Wireless Adapter instead?

you can try adding the driver name to modprobe blacklist, but i don’t know if that will prevent it from working entirely, or just the use of the wifi feature.

1 Like

There is a config which should prevent this:

Should be in /etc/modprobe.d/xow-blacklist.conf on your system. Usually it gets applied on boot time. So reboot.

2 Likes

D’oh. I didn’t realize xow already had a fix included. Thank you both for the fast replies.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.