How do I create a custom ISO for an old Manjaro build?

I wanted to build an ISO based on the packages on Manjaro 21.3.0, but with a recent kernel.

I found guides that explain building ISO’s with customization, but I couldn’t find anything about getting an older build setup with a custom kernel.

Why? It is a rolling release, the first thing the old release will do is complain about available updates and then you’re on the same state (probably even newer) than the current iso.

1 Like

For some reason, my SDDM and Xorg suddenly keep flashing white (cursor still work, everything else turns white). Wayland works but has its own issues. I am trying to debug this and I don’t know what I changed to cause this, so in an effort to rule out hardware issues I wanted an old ISO that I know was working.

This sounds awfully similar to an XY problem..

Why not actually debug this? - using actual system information, system logs, what changed …

what you may have changed can (maybe) tracked quite easily as well:
files last modification time/last access time, the shell’s command history … what packages have been updated recently
(/var/log/pacman.log)

All you know when the old system with a new kernel actually works is … what?

Comparing an old systems default configuration with the current one is even more work than just tracking your changes from what you have now.

just my opinion, of course

1 Like

Why not simply rollback ?
(timeshift / snapper)

1 Like

I think you “know” he would - if he could. :nerd_face:
But: you never know … better ask/suggest the obvious possible solution

It is also a reminder to do something to prevent the same thing happening again :wink:

The issue is the problem seems extremely difficult to debug. Nothing is showing up in the logs. I tried the latest Manjaro ISO and the problem exists even on the live USB. So I know nothing is wrong specifically in my setup. The issue is I have no idea when the problem would have happened, it could have been anytime during the last month. I downgraded all graphics related packages I could think of and the problem persists.

I am trying to rule out the possibility that something broke in hardware, hence I am trying to replicate the latest known working ISO. If I can get the same ISO I used to install the system in the first place to run and the problem is still there, then I know it isn’t a software issue.

I have seen issues like that being reported here on the forum.
Perhaps search for them and see whether people with a similar problem have found a solution.

Without any concrete hardware info (and more) to start from there is nothing to do here but wild speculation - which isn’t exactly helpful or a good use of anyone’s time.

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
    (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

That is not possible unless you had taken a snapshot of the package mirror from that day we released 21.3.0 back in June 2022. Having KDE and a more rolling desktop can create issues with some hardware. Maybe boot up XFCE or Gnome to see if it is Plasma related. You can also try some of the Plasma LTS releases to see if that helps: Releases · manjaro/plasma-5.24-lts · GitHub

Why do you want the new kernel? Seems like you could achieve what you want (make sure it is software not hardware related) by simply downloading and testing an older manjaro release.