How can I remote connect to my Manjaro laptop from Windows 10?

Hi, long time no see. I’m wanting to connect my Windows 10 PC remotely to my Manjaro laptop. Making it easier to multitask on both without having to switch mice/keyboards or rearrange things. How can I do this, I know there’s a way but my friend says it doesn’t have audio.
Precisely like Parsec, basically. But the problem with actually using Parsec is that I can’t connect from Win10 to Manjaro. Only Manjaro to Win10.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalStudios :wink:

There are some software: Category:Remote desktop - ArchWiki

VNC/RDP is without sound as I know.

Nomachine is pretty good, has sound and much more.

RustDesk is a pretty newcomer and seems to work pretty well like teamviewer and anydesk. The difference here ist that it is free and open source plus you can run your own server if you need a connection over the internet (but there are also public servers). At this moment you have to compile the client yourself on Manjaro:

pamac build rustdesk

or there is a package for Manjaro on github:

wget https://github.com/rustdesk/rustdesk/releases/download/1.1.9/rustdesk-1.1.9-manjaro-arch.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U rustdesk-1.1.9-manjaro-arch.pkg.tar.zst
2 Likes

Hii! I seem to have run into an issue while downloading.

[mika@mika-inspiron153567 ~]$ sudo pacman -U rustdesk-1.1.9-manjaro-arch.pkg.tar.zst
[sudo] password for mika: 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (25) python-cachecontrol-1:0.12.6-4  python-cffi-1.15.1-1
              python-colorama-0.4.5-1  python-commonmark-0.9.1-5
              python-cryptography-37.0.4-1  python-distlib-0.3.5-1
              python-docutils-1:0.19-1  python-future-0.18.2-7
              python-msgpack-1.0.3-1  python-pep517-0.12.0-4
              python-pip-22.2.2-1  python-platformdirs-2.5.2-1
              python-ply-3.11-10  python-pycparser-2.21-3
              python-pygments-2.12.0-1  python-pyopenssl-22.0.0-1
              python-resolvelib-0.8.1-1  python-rich-12.5.1-1
              python-six-1.16.0-5  python-tenacity-8.0.1-3
              python-typing_extensions-4.3.0-1  python-webencodings-0.5.1-9
              ttf-arphic-uming-0.2.20080216.2-1  xdotool-3.20211022.1-1
              rustdesk-1.1.9-0

Total Download Size:   13.95 MiB
Total Installed Size:  74.45 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 ttf-arphic-uming...     7.5 MiB  2.12 MiB/s 00:04 [######################] 100%
 python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
 Total ( 2/24)          14.0 MiB  1231 KiB/s 00:12 [######################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.math.princeton.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from ridgewireless.mm.fcix.net : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.futureweb.be : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.ipacct.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.astra.in.ua : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.kku.ac.th : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'python-pygments-2.12.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

And what issue?

No idea. I put the stuff you provided in as instructed. And that’s all it spat at me. I looked in my home menu and found no trace of Rustdesk anywhere. Something went wrong but I dunno how or what.

Did you proceed the installation? :slight_smile: (type “y” and type “ENTER”)

I did. It wouldn’t have proceeded with attempting to do something if I hadn’t. :thinking:

Ah man, sorry. I did not scroll down :smiley:

Uh oh. What to do? :sweat_smile:

Update mirrors:

sudo pacman-mirrors -c Germany # or any other country
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5

Do a full upgrade:

sudo pacman -Syyuu

Then install rustdesk as explained above.

Thank you so much! You’ve been a HUGE help. People who get helped by you are so lucky!
Also one more question, my computers are not even a foot from each other and the latency/delay is massive. Is there anything I can do about that?

Rustdesk streams the data through a relay server like anydesk or teamviewer. That means: No direct connection and all data goes through the public server. Therefore you need to run your own rustdesk server to get better speed.

1 Like

Is it hard to run my own/set it up? :sweat:

@CrystalStudios Not that hard…

Install the server:

pamac build rustdesk-server-bin 

You need to change the owner:

sudo chown -R rustdeskserver /opt/rustdesk-server

And start the relay server:

sudo systemctl enable --now rustdesk-server-hbbr.service 

Start the rendevous server:

sudo systemctl enable --now rustdesk-server-hbbs.service 

Check the status:

sudo systemctl status rustdesk-server-hbbr.service
sudo systemctl status rustdesk-server-hbbs.service 

If everything runs without errors (maybe a reboot is needed), you have to put the (local) IP of the server into every client under “ID/RelayServer”.

Thats basically it… hope that helps.

Here and I am interested in a similar question, you know, here’s the thing, we moved the staff to a remote location, that’s what we think how to make it so that we can remotely monitor their computers. So far I’m studying this article on this subject Kickidler , I hope that I can find a better option

Search on the forums and if you don’t find an answer, open your own thread

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.